Guana Bay is located on the eastern coast of St. Maarten between Dawn Beach and Pointe Blanche on the southern Dutch side of the island. Guana Bay is one of the best spots on the island of St. Martin where tourists can explore the beautiful nature on the island by taking an amazing hiking tour. From Guana Bay, tourists also have the opportunity to enjoy the wonderful view of the neighboring island of St. Barthelemy.
Baie Guana is a safe area near the Port of St. Maarten where visitors can enjoy the stunning nature of the island of St. Maarten by engaging in activities such as hiking and surfing. Guana Bay Beach is a favorite beach among many professional surfers who visit the island of St. Maarten because of the high waves at the beach.
There are some incredible restaurants with delicious food near Guana Bay that allow tourists to taste the flavor of the Caribbean. The best time to avoid the crowds and enjoy Guana Bay with family or friends is between December to April. Guana Bay Beach is sure to delight any traveler who visits St. Maarten and make them eager to return.
Table of Contents
- Where is Guana Bay located?
- What are the ways to go to Guana Bay?
- What should you wear in Guana Bay?
- What activities can be done in Guana Bay?
- What are the facts about Guana Bay?
Where is Guana Bay located?
Guana Bay is located on the eastern coast of the island of Sint Maarten. Guana Bay is located just 2.1 miles (3.3 km) from the town of Philipsburg and 8.2 miles (13.2 km) from Princess Juliana International Airport. The coordinates of Guana Bay are 18.0337° N, 63.0238° W.
Baie Guana Beach stretches a length of 1,640 ft (500 m). Guana Bay Beach has soft sand and incredible views of the nearby island of St. Barthelemy, which is located southeast of the island of St. Maarten.
Which country governs Guana Bay?
Guana Bay is governed by the Netherlands. The reason for this is that Guana Bay is located on the Dutch side of the island of St. Maarten. There is a border division in St. Maarten that separates the island into two parts, the northern side is owned by France, and the southern side is owned by the Netherlands.
What are the ways to go to Guana Bay?
There are different ways for tourists to be able to visit Guana Bay while on the island of St. Maarten. The different ways to go to Baie Guana are listed below.
- By taxi: Taxis are available on both the French and Dutch sides of St. Maarten. There are some resorts on St. Martin that offer taxi services, so guests can hire a taxi to get to Guana Bay. The average cost of a taxi in St. Martin is between $4 to $45 (€3.5 to €40) depending on the duration of time and the distance traveled. Guana Bay is located 2.5 miles (4.1 km) from the Port of St. Maarten and 8.2 miles (13.3 km) from Princess Juliana International airport.
- By car: Baie Guana is located in a residential area that is most easily accessible by rental car. Tourists will find that the easiest option for travel to Guana Bay is by rental car. This will allow them to move about the island at their leisure. Tourists can use the free parking area by the beach. The price of car rentals in St. Martin is between $28 to $63 (€25 to €56) per day depending on the type or size of the vehicle.
- By walking: Guana Bay is a residential area with a few villa rentals located nearby such as Villa Orchid, Villa Jazmin, Villa Amalia, and others. Tourists staying in these villas can walk to Baie Guana. There is an approximate 10-minute walking distance from the villas located near Baie Guana to Guana Bay Beach.
When is the best time to go to Guana Bay?
The best time to go to Guana Bay is between December to April. The reason for this is that during this time there are fewer tourists on the island than in the summer months and fewer crowds on the beach.
What are the best clubs near Guana Bay?
There are many exciting nightclubs on the island of St. Maarten. The best clubs in St. Martin are on the southern Dutch side of the island. Most of the popular nightclubs in St. Maarten are located in the towns of Simpson Bay and Philipsburg, these towns are located from 1.8 to 9 miles (3 to 15 km) away from Guana Bay Beach. The best nightclubs near Guana Bay are listed below.
- Topper’s Restaurant and Bar is located in Simpson Bay and is 6 miles (9.8 km) away from Baie Guana. Some of the activities that can be done at Topper’s Restaurant and Bar are karaoke and dancing, and there is also live music. Topper’s Restaurant and Bar is open from 7 AM to 2 AM every day of the week. There is a happy hour every day from the hours of 1 PM to 6 PM. A meal at Topper’s Restaurant and Bar normally costs between $20 to $80 (€17 to €70) per person.
- Mykonos is a nightclub located in Maho Beach and is 9.3 miles (15 km) from Guana Bay. The concept of Mykonos is very unique, the venue is 459 ft (140 meters) of outdoor space with a swimming pool in the center with a gorgeous lounge and bar right by the sea. The drinks are prepared by professional mixologists. Mykonos is open only from Friday to Sunday, from 10 PM to 3 PM. A drink at Mykonos can cost from $15 to $25 (€13 to €22).
- X-Lounge is a nightclub and bar located in Simpson Bay and is 6 miles (10 km) from Guana Bay. X-Lounge is a place where tourists can find locally made high-end cigars and hookahs. X-Lounge also hosts many private events, such as sports competitions and locals usually watch all the big games there. X-Lounge is open from 6 PM to 2 AM every day. X-Lounge is also known for its amazing prices on drinks that start at $4 (€3.50) and top-shelf liquors start at $6 (€5).
What are the best restaurants near Guana Bay?
There are many great restaurants located near Guana Bay such as Bamboo House, Sabor Colombiano, and TJ’s Cassava Coal Pot, many of these restaurants are located in Simpson Bay and Philipsburg. Some of the restaurants near Guana Bay are considered by many tourists as some of the finest restaurants in St. Martin. The best restaurants near Guana Bay Beach are listed and explained below.
- TJ’s Cassava Coal Pot: Located in Philipsburg just 1.3 miles (2.2 km) away from Baie Guana, TJ’s Cassava Coal Pot specializes in local Caribbean cuisine. Tourists say that the friendly service and the excellent quality of the food are the best things about TJ’s Cassava Coal Pot. The average price of a meal at TJ’s Cassava Coal Pot ranges from $7 to $29 (€6.54 to €27) per plate. TJ’s Cassava Coal Pot is and it is open every day from 12:00 PM to 9:30 PM.
- Bamboo House: An award-winning restaurant that has been elevating and redefining sushi for over 15 years thanks to its expertly trained chefs. Bamboo House is in Simpson Bay which is 9 miles (15 km) away from Guana Bay Beach. The price of a meal at Bamboo House can vary from $15 to $28 (€12 to €28). Bamboo House is open every day from 6 PM to 12 AM.
- Sabor Colombiano: A Colombian restaurant that is rated as one of the 10 best restaurants in Phillipsburg, Sint Maarten. Tourists say that the customer service is excellent, and the food is amazingly delicious. The price per meal at Sabor Colombiano ranges from $1.79 to $22.29 (€1.67 to €20.78). Sabor Colombiano is open every day from Monday to Saturday from 8 AM to 6 PM, and Sundays from 8 AM to 5 PM.
What are the best resorts near Guana Bay?
The best resorts near Baie Guana are The Sonesta Ocean Point Resort, The Horizon View Hotel, and the Divi Little Bay Beach Resort. Some of the best resorts in Sint Maarten are located near Guana Bay. The best resorts near Guana Bay are listed and explained below.
- The Sonesta Ocean Point Resort is a luxury five-star all-inclusive resort that is located on the eastern coast of St. Maarten and is 9.2 miles (14.8 km) away from Guana Bay. The Sonesta Ocean Point Resort has breathtaking views of the Caribbean Sea and is surrounded by beautiful beaches and so many activities that families can enjoy. Those staying at the Sonesta Ocean Point resort can attend nearby historical sites such as Fort Amsterdam and participate in watersports such as kitesurfing, jet skiing parasailing, and more. The price at the Sonesta Ocean Point Resort ranges from $579 to $1,010 (€513 to €894) per night.
- The Horizon View Hotel is located in Phillipsburg, just 1.9 miles (3.1 km) from Guana Bay and 6.3 miles (10 km) from Princess Juliana International Airport. The Horizon View Hotel has direct access to Great Bay Beach, stunning views of the sunset, and cruise ships coming in and out of the nearby port. The price at The Horizon View Hotel is $306 (€285) per night and may vary depending on the season.
- Divi Little Bay Beach Resort is an all-inclusive resort located in Phillipsburg and is 3.2 miles (5.1 km) away from Guana Bay. Guests who stay at Divi Little Bay Beach Resort can enjoy the comfortable and spacious rooms overlooking the bay, the friendly and efficient staff, and the nearby attractions and restaurants. Divi Little Bay Beach Resort has an online rating of 4 out of 5 stars. The Divi Little Bay Beach Resort prices range from $179 to $262 (€165 to €241) per night.
Are there villas to stay at in Guana Bay?
Yes, there are villas to stay in near Guana Bay. Some of the villas to stay in near Guana Bay are the Villa Hibiscus, Villa Amalia, and Villa Jasmine. The villas near Guana Bay are listed and described below.
- Villa Hibiscus is located in Guana Bay just and is located 8.3 miles (13.3 km) away from Princess Juliana International Airport and 2 miles (3.21 km) from the Port of St. Maarten. Villa Hibiscus is a luxurious villa that is 5,000 sqft (464 sqm) and has spectacular views of the backdrop of the sky and sea bordered by a luxuriant large garden. Villa Hibiscus has a private beach, a private pool, and a covered outdoor dining area. The price at Villa Hibiscus is $1,260 (€1,177) per night.
- Villa Amalia is located in Guana Bay and is located 8.6 miles (13.8 km) from Princess Juliana International Airport and 2.5 miles (4.1 km) from the Port of St. Maarten. Villa Amalia has an incredible ocean view and has many amazing services such as chef services, daily housekeeping, and a concierge. The price at Villa Amalia is between $2,500 to $4,860 (€2,335 to €4,540) per night.
- Villa Jasmine is located in Guana Bay and is located 8.3 miles (13.4 km) from Princess Juliana International Airport and 2.6 miles (4.1 km) from the Port of St. Maarten. Villa Jasmine offers a wide range of services to make sure their guests feel welcomed. Some of the services offered at Villa Jasmine are a fully equipped kitchen and bar, private pool and beach, boat trip, private chef, taxi tour, and rental cars. The price at Villa Jasmine is $1,162 (€1,085) per night, a six-night minimum is required to stay at Villa Jasmine.
What are the tours in Sint Maarten that visit Guana Bay?
There are some tours available in St. Martin that take tourists on a hike through Guana Bay. Baie Guana is one of the perfect spots on the island of St. Maarten for hiking. Some of the tour companies that provide hiking tours in Baie Guana are listed below.
- The Tri-Sport company provides hiking tours through Guana Bay for $40 (€37) per person. This guided tour includes hiking equipment and refreshments.
- Guana Bay Scenic Coastal Hike provides hiking tours in Baie Guana for $39 (€36) per person. This guided tour comes with provided security equipment.
What should you wear in Guana Bay?
The weather in Guana Bay is usually warm and has a nice cool breeze that comes in from the east. Things that tourists should wear in Guana Bay are listed below:
- Hiking boots
- Sun hat
- Sneakers for hiking
What activities can be done in Guana Bay?
The entire island of St. Martin is full of activities for tourists to enjoy. Some of the activities that can be done in Guana Bay are some of the most exciting things to do in St. Martin. Some of the activities that can be done in Guana Bay are listed below.
- Taking a walking tour
- Lounging on the beach
What are the night activities available in Guana Bay?
There are no night activities at Guana Bay. Most of the activities that tourists enjoy in Guana Bay can be enjoyed during the day. Many of the exciting nighttime activities can be found in the neighboring towns of Simpson Bay and Philipsburg.
What are the facts about Guana Bay?
Some interesting facts about Guana Bay are listed below.
- Guana Bay is part of the Dutch government.
- Buana Baie beach is located 2.1 miles (3.3 km) from Phillipsburg.
- Guana Bay beach is perfect for surfing.
- A natural pool can be found as tourists travel from Guana Bay to Point Blanche.
- Guana Beach can be dangerous for swimmers without experience because of the strong waves. It is recommended that children and swimmers without experience stay on the shore of the beach.
- Tourists can bring their own chairs and umbrellas since there are no restaurants at Guana Bay Beach.
- There are many different hiking trails near Guana Bay.
- There are impressive views of the Atlantic Ocean and the nearby island of St. Barths from Baie Guana.
How do hurricanes affect Guana Bay?
St. Martin was badly damaged during Hurricane Irma in 2017. As a result of Hurricane Irma, the path to the natural pool from Guana Bay was severely damaged. Although it can still be found, it is washed out in places, with difficult traverses, posing a risk for falls.
Is Guana Bay safe?
Yes, Guana Bay is a safe place. The whole island of St. Maarten is safe to visit, as the locals are friendly and always willing to help tourists.
Is hiking possible in Guana Bay?
Yes, hiking is possible in Guana Bay. There is a hiking tour available that takes tourists along the rugged undeveloped coastline between Guana Beach and Pointe Blanche. The hiking tour costs $39 per person, and there is a minimum age of 9 required to participate. Since this is an intermediate hike, hikers should be fit and capable of trekking steep terrain. The hiking tour starts at 9 AM and is a 3-hour tour. The costs of this tour include a snack bar, a cold drink, a bottle of water, and some hiking gear.