The island of Sint Maarten has many incredibly beautiful beaches on both the Dutch and French sides of the island including the gorgeous white sandy beach called Anse Marcel. Anse Marcel Beach is situated on the northern coast of the French side of Saint Martin.
The secluded Anse Marcel Beach is a calm and tranquil location with breathtaking views of lush green vegetation that carpets the surrounding hills as well as turquoise blue waters extending out from the shore. Anse Marcel Beach is tucked away in a small, sheltered bay in Saint Martin called Anse Marcel Bay.
The scenic Anse Marcel Beach offers comfortable accommodation, some fun water activities, and some of St. Martin’s tasty Caribbean cuisines at the surrounding restaurants in this location. Anse Marcel Beach is generally less populated than other beaches in Sint Maarten and is ideal for some relaxing sunbathing or lunch and fresh tropical drinks on the beach.
The waters at Anse Marcel Beach are shallow enough for inexperienced swimmers and children to enjoy time in the sea. The currents at Anse Marcel Beach are also calm because the hills that shelter Anse Marcel Beach on both sides protect it from the wind. This calm peaceful setting at Anse Marcel Beach makes it suitable for activities such as snorkeling, kayaking, paddleboarding, and much more.
Table of Contents
- Where is Anse Marcel Beach?
- How to go to Anse Marcel Beach?
- What are the facts about Anse Marcel Beach?
- What are the activities that can be done in Anse Marcel Beach?
- Where can you go at Anse Marcel Beach?
Where is Anse Marcel Beach?
Anse Marcel Beach is situated in a secluded cove that is located in the northern tip of the island of Saint Martin. Anse Marcel Beach is located at least 7 km (4 miles) from Grand Case Airport and 23 km (14 miles) from Princess Juliana International Airport. The coordinates for Anse Marcel Beach are 18°06’46.4″N 63°02’26.4″W.
How long is Anse Marcel Beach?
Anse Marcel Beach is at least 400m (1312 ft) long.
What are the features that can be found on a map of Anse Marcel Beach?
The map above shows the secluded cove of Anse Marcel Beach in the northern tip of the French side of Saint Martin. The green arrow points towards the town of Cul-de-Sac which is situated to the southeastern side of Anse Marcel Beach. The map also shows the locations of the different hotels and boat charter rentals as well as the National Nature Reserve of St. Martin near Anse Marcel Beach.
What does a video of Anse Marcel Beach show?
Below you’ll find a YouTube video that shows an overview of Anse Marcel Beach, St. Martin.
How to go to Anse Marcel Beach?
There are a few ways to go to Anse Marcel Beach. Transportation in St. Maarten is generally accessible from different locations. Some of the ways to get to Anse Marcel Beach are listed below.
- Car: Visitors who are staying in Saint Martin can drive from anywhere on the island to Anse Marcel beach.
- Boat: There are boats that sail from different docking stations around St. Maarten to Anse Marcel Beach. The nearest beach where visitors can charter a boat is in the French town called Grand Case in the northern region of St. Martin.
- Walking: Visitors who would like some adventure can walk from any one of the hotels that are close to Anse Marcel Beach. Long-distance trekkers can also attempt the 30 to 40-minute walk and hike from the town of Grand Case to Anse Marcel Beach.
What is the distance of Anse Marcel Beach to the important locations in St. Maarten?
Some important locations in Saint Martin can be found within close distance to Anse Marcel Beach. Some of the important locations that are close to Anse Marcel Beach are listed below.
- Petite Plage is 1km (0.6 miles) away from Anse Marcel Beach.
- The National Nature Reserve of St. Martin is at least 350 m (1148 ft) from Anse Marcel Beach.
- Red rock, which is a hiking area in St. Martin, is situated at least 1.1 km (0.7 miles) from Anse Marcel Beach.
- Anse Marcel Marina is located at least 350 m (1148 ft) from Anse Marcel Beach.
- Secrets St. Martin Resort & Spa Hotel is situated within 150 m (492 ft) walking distance from Anse Marcel beach.
- Anse Marcel Beach Resort is located within 150 m (492 ft) walking distance from Anse Marcel Beach.
- Blue Sail Hotel is located at least 300 m (984 ft) from Anse Marcel Beach.
- Princess Juliana International Airport is located at least 23 km (14 miles) from Anse Marcel Beach.
- Grand Case Airport is located at least 7 km (4 miles) from Anse Marcel Beach.
- The French capital of Saint Martin called Margot is situated at least 11 km (7 miles) from Anse Marcel Beach.
- Simpson Bay on the Dutch side of St. Maarten is at least 19 km (12 miles) from Anse Marcel Beach.
- The Dutch capital of Sint Maarten called Philipsburg is located at least 14 km (9 miles) from Anse Marcel Beach.
- Orient Bay is located at least 6 km (4 miles) from Anse Marcel Beach.
- The Cul de Sac ferry station to Pinel Island on the French side of St. Martin is located at least 2.3 km (1.4 miles) from Anse Marcel Beach.
What is the best time to go to Anse Marcel Beach?
The best time to go to Anse Marcel Beach is during the months of January through to March, particularly March when the weather is pleasant with minimal rainfall. The weather at Anse Marcel Beach is ideal for relaxing activities on the beach as well as fun activities in the water.
The humidity at Anse Marcel Beach during the months of January through to March is at least 77%. The temperature at Anse Marcel Beach during the month of March ranges between 26°C (78.8°F) to 27°C (80.6°F) which is ideally cooler for swimming as well as sunbathing, in comparison to the hotter months that have temperatures ranging between 27°C (80.6°F) to 29°C (84.2°F). The month of March is also the driest month in Anse Marcel with at least 44mm (1.7 in) of precipitation which is much less compared to 131 mm (5.2 in) of rainfall in the wettest month September. The image below shows the annual weather in at Anse Marcel beach.
What is the entrance fee for Anse Marcel Beach?
There is no entrance fee to Ansel Marcel Beach. Anse Marcel Beach is accessible to the general public through any of the hotel entry points along the beach. The parking at Anse Marcel Beach is free and securely gated. The costs that can be incurred while visiting Anse Marcel Beach include the cost of umbrellas, lounge chairs, and beach towels as well as the cost of food at the restaurants or other amenities offered at the hotels on Anse Marcel Beach.
What are the facts about Anse Marcel Beach?
There are some interesting facts about Anse Marcel Beach. Some of the facts about Anse Marcel Beach are listed below.
- Environment: Anse Marcel Beach is a nestled cove in Saint Martin that is surrounded by green hills.
- Size: Anse Marcel Beach is at least 400 m (1312 ft) long.
- Marina entrance at Anse Marcel Beach: The entrance for the marina that is next to Ansel Marcel Beach is only 9 m (29 ft) wide and 3 m (9 ft) deep.
- Entrance to Anse Marcel Beach: Anse Marcel Beach can only be accessed using the hotel entry points on the beach.
- Weather: The weather at Anse Marcel Beach is typical of a tropical savanna climate with low wind currents due to the protection provided by the surrounding hills against the strong eastern Atlantic winds.
- Culture: The ambiance at Anse Marcel Beach emanates the French culture as this beach is situated on the French side of Saint Martin.
- National Nature Reserve: The National Nature Reserve of St. Martin which is a 5-minute walking distance from Anse Marcel Beach hosts diverse wildlife including iguanas, brown pelicans, frigate birds, and other sea-bird species such as terns.
What are the features of the weather at Anse Marcel Beach?
The weather features of Anse Marcel Beach have the characteristics of a tropical savanna climate. The weather at Anse Marcel beach is generally humid and hot with mostly sunny days and occasional rain throughout the year.
The temperatures on Ansel Marcel range from 24°C (75°F) to 29°C (84.2°F) with humidity levels ranging between 77% and 80%. The wind speeds at Anse Marcel Beach are generally below 30 kph (18 mph). The surrounding hills at Anse Marcel Beach create a buffer against strong winds that usually blow from the Atlantic Ocean on the eastern side of Saint Martin.
It is good to know that the tropical savanna climate at Anse Marcel Beach often results in a yearly hurricane season from the months of May through to November. This hurricane season results in the heavy rains that occur in Sint Maarten with monthly precipitation levels ranging from at least 188 mm (7 in) to 229 mm (9 in).
Did Hurricane Irma affect Anse Marcel Beach?
Yes, hurricane Irma has affected Anse Marcel Beach. The impact of Hurricane Irma was felt throughout the entire island of Sint Maarten including Anse Marcel Beach after it occurred in 2017. Some of the hurricanes that have affected Anse Marcel Beach in Saint Martin are listed below.
- Hurricane Bertha in 1996
- Hurricane Georges in 1998
- Hurricane José in 1999
- Hurricane Maria in 2017
- Hurricane Irma in 2017
Hurricane Irma damaged some of the property at Anse Marcel Beach including some restaurants that were completely destroyed and closed down indefinitely. The formerly popular hotel called “Riu Palace St. Martin” which was situated at Anse Marcel Beach sustained significant damage.
The recovery of the infrastructure at Anse Marcel Beach has resulted in a few changes. The formerly called Riu Palace hotel has been renovated and replaced by a new hotel called “Secrets St. Martin Resort & Spa”. The water at Anse Marcel Beach has also been cleared of the debris that polluted the bay after Hurricane Irma struck Saint Martin.
Anse Marcel Beach has significantly recovered from much of the damage that occurred from Hurricane Irma in Sint Maarten. Anse Marcel was fortunate to still have working water and a fuel supply after Hurricane Irma struck the area in 2017.
Is Anse Marcel Beach safe?
Yes, Anse Marcel Beach is safe. The access points to Anse Marcel Beach are through the hotels that are situated on the beach. These hotels provide free gated parking to day-trippers who have traveled from other areas in Saint Martin to Anse Marcel Beach.
The white sandy Anse Marcel Beach is also well protected from strong winds by the hills that are situated on both sides of the cove. This protection allows for calm currents in the shallow waters at Anse Marcel Beach which makes the water suitable for families and individuals that would like to swim during the day or at night.
Visitors should take caution when they are driving to and from Anse Marcel Beach because the roads are very steep and there is poor lighting at night making it challenging for drivers to see the road clearly. It is safer to travel to Anse Marcel Beach during the day when the roads are well lit by the bright sunlight. Drivers who are looking to visit Anse Marcel Beach may want to use a vehicle with an automatic transmission that can navigate through the steep hilly roads that lead to and from the beach.
Is Anse Marcel Beach family friendly?
Yes, Anse Marcel Beach is family friendly. There are restaurants, fun water activities, and hiking that can be enjoyed during a visit to Anse Marcel Beach.
Parents and their children can enjoy swimming in the calm shallow waters at Anse Marcel Beach. Families and couples can also enjoy some water activities such as snorkeling, jet-skiing, kayaking, and paddleboarding. Families can also enjoy an active day out in the sun by taking a hike up the hill at Anse Marcel Beach.
The restaurants at Anse Marcel beach also provide a variety of tasty meals and drinks with menus that cater to the children as well as exotic cocktails and French wines for the adults. Couples can also enjoy an intimate meal on the beach during the evening as they watch the sunset on Anse Marcel Beach.
Are there cafés in Anse Marcel Beach?
Yes, there are cafés at Anse Marcel Beach. The Secrets St. Martin Resort & Spa Hotel that is located at Anse Marcel Beach has two French cafés called Coco Café and Market Café.
Coco Café has a coffee and snack bar and is open 24 hours a day for guests to access anytime from Anse Marcel Beach. Coco café provides a casual atmosphere and offers some of Saint Martin’s tasty pastries and coffee for those who would like an early morning, mid-day, or late-night snack.
Market Café is another casual café that can be found at Anse Marcel Beach. Market Café offers an international buffet of gourmet cuisine in a farmer’s market-like atmosphere. This café provides cozy seating for both breakfast and lunch meals. The breakfast served at Market café is offered from 7 am to 11 am, whereas the lunch is offered from 12:30 pm to 3 pm.
The Secrets St. Martin Resort & Spa Hotel has a 5 out of 5-star online rating from guests who enjoyed their tasty meals during their visit to Anse Marcel Beach. This hotel ensures that visitors will enjoy diverse and quality meals at their cafés.
What are the activities that can be done in Anse Marcel Beach?
Some exciting activities can be done at Anse Marcel Beach. Visitors who are looking for things to do in St. Martin during their stay on the island can enjoy the activities offered at Anse Marcel Beach. Some of the activities that are available at Anse Marcel Beach are listed below.
- Scuba diving
- Relaxation on the beach
- Eating at the fine restaurants along Anse Marcel Beach
- Taking cooking classes
- Playing beach volleyball
- Taking dance classes
- Playing football on the beach
- Hosting weddings and other events
- Quad bike riding
Where can you go at Anse Marcel Beach?
There are a few places to go to at Anse Marcel Beach. Some of the places that visitors can go to at Anse Marcel Beach are listed below.
- Restaurants: There are at least 10 restaurants at Anse Marcel Beach. The different features of these restaurants include open-air seating, pool-side bars, gazebos, in-door lounges, and beach seating. The different cuisines served at these restaurants include Italian meals, Pan-Asian dishes, international buffets, Mediterranean cuisine, and French dishes. The average cost of meals at the restaurants at Anse Marcel range between $23 to $40 (€20 to €36) per adult and at least $18 (€16) for children’s meals.
- Hotels: There are at least 3 hotels at Anse Marcel Beach. Their features are spacious air-conditioned rooms, free WiFi, infinity swimming pools, balconies with a sea view, flat-screen televisions, restaurants, pool bars, and much more. The average cost of spending the night at the hotels at Anse Marcel Beach ranges between $178 to $370 (€160 to €332).
- Boats: There are at least 5 boat rental companies at the Anse Marcel marina which are situated on the eastern side of Anse Marcel Beach. These boat rental companies offer private boats that visitors can charter and sail around St. Martin or to neighboring islands such as Anguilla and St. Barts for half a day or a full day. The price range for a boat charter is between $668 to $1448 (€600 to €1300).
- Blue Sail Hotel quad bikes: The Blue Sail Hotel which is located at least 300 m (984 ft) from Anse Marcel Beach, offers quad bikes rentals for visitors to ride and discover more of Saint Martin. The average cost of a quad bike is between $125 to $146 (€112 to €131).
Are there any nightclubs in Anse Marcel Beach?
No, there are no nightclubs at Anse Marcel Beach. The best clubs in St. Martin can be found on the Dutch side of the island. Anse Marcel Beach has two hotels on the beach namely Anse Marcel Beach Resort and Secrets St. Martin Resort & Spa which have facilities that can be used by guests at night-time for a surcharge.
How is the nightlife in Anse Marcel Beach?
The nightlife at Anse Marcel Beach is generally peaceful on the beach and visitors can enjoy a late-night swim in the calm shallow waters. The nightlife at the hotel on Anse Marcel Beach varies depending on the occasion. The Secrets St. Martin Resort & Spa at Anse Marcel Beach is known to host occasional night-time events such as weddings, nightly theater performances, and themed parties.
|Related Blog Articles|
|Saint Martin Pinel Island Travel Guide||Where is the Best Area to Stay in Sint Maarten?||The Essential List of Wildlife and Animals in St. Maarten|
What are the best restaurants in Anse Marcel Beach?
The best restaurants at Anse Marcel Beach can be found at the resorts situated on the beach. Anse Marcel Beach has some exquisite cuisines that are also enjoyed at some of the best restaurants in St. Martin. Some of the finest restaurants that are found at Anse Marcel Beach are listed below.
- Anse Marcel Beach Restaurant
- Barefoot Grill Restaurant
- Himitsu Pan-Asian Restaurant
- Olio Mediterranean Restaurant
- Portofino Italian Restaurant
- Market Café Restaurant
- The Del Arti Italian Restaurant
The average cost of meals at the restaurants at Anse Marcel Beach is between $23 to $40 (€20 to €36) per adult and at least $18 (€16) for children’s meals.
Where to stay in Anse Marcel Beach?
There are a few places to stay at Anse Marcel Beach. The service quality at some of the resorts and villas at Anse Marcel Beach match the high-quality service standards that are set at some of the finest hotels in St. Maarten. Some of the best hotels that are found at Anse Marcel Beach are listed below.
- Anse Marcel Beach Resort
- Secrets St. Martin Resort & Spa
- Blue Sail Hotel SXM