The town of Oyster Pond is often referred to as the “Pearl of the Caribbean”, this tiny town is famous for its harbor that has many yachts and sailboats as well as its oyster-shaped pond that is located on the eastern coast of St. Maarten. Oyster Pond is located between both the Dutch and French sides of the island of St. Maarten, this makes the town a multicultural melting pot which is perfect for tourists who are looking to experience both the Dutch and French sides of St. Maarten in one town.
The town of Oyster Pond has a marina along the pond with 38 docks owned by different businesses that offer activities for locals and tourists to enjoy on and nearby Oyster Pond such as sailing charters, jet skiing, fishing tours, and more. There is also a ferry service in Oyster Pond to the nearby island of St. Barths.
Oyster Pond is a small, quiet, and relaxing town that many travel to in order to retreat from the stresses of everyday life. Oyster Pond is located to close Dawn Beach which is another popular beach in Saint Martin that is known for its breath-taking sunrises. Travelers come from all over to see these famous sunrises that can be viewed from St. Martin’s eastern coast.
Oyster Pond has been devastated by several hurricanes in recent years. The devastation that has occurred due to these hurricanes can be seen even to this day by those who visit Oyster Pond and the nearby Dawn Beach. Even though extensive damage has been caused, Oyster Bay still stands out as one of the most beautiful towns in St. Maarten. Oyster Bay is surrounded by lush green hills and luxury homes that are only accessible by steep roads. All of the natural beauty that Oyster Pond possesses is exactly what those who are seeking a tranquil vacation are looking for.
Table of Contents
- Where is Oyster Pond?
- What are the facts about Oyster Pond?
- Has Oyster Pond recovered from Hurricane Irma?
- What to know about Oyster Pond?
- What should you wear in Oyster Pond?
- What are the activities that can be done in Oyster Pond?
- What are the best clubs in Oyster Pond?
- What are the best restaurants in Oyster Pond?
- Where to stay in Oyster Pond?
Where is Oyster Pond?
Oyster Pond is located on the western coast of St. Maarten and is a town that is split between the French and Dutch sides of St. Martin. Oyster Pond is approximately 40 minutes or 21.4 km (13.2 miles) away from Princess Juliana International Airport. The coordinates of Oyster Pond are 18.0590° N, 63.0162° W.
What can be found on a map of Oyster Pond?
On the map above shows that the town of Oyster Pond is located on the eastern coast of the island of Saint Martin. The map also shows that Oyster Pond is located on the French/Dutch Border of Saint Martin. The town is split between both French Saint Martin and Dutch Sint Maarten. The map also has an arrow pointing to “Oyster Pond” which is a pond on the southern end of the town of Oyster pond where many like to fish, take tours, and participate in water sports.
What are the ways to go to Oyster Pond?
There are many transportation methods that are available for tourists and locals alike to travel to Oyster Pond, Saint Martin. The different transportation methods that are available to reach Oyster Pond are listed and explained below.
- Rental Car: Most travelers choose to rent a car during their stay in Saint Martin. This is a good option if you are planning to stay in St. Maarten for an extended time and would like to explore more parts of the island independently, including Oyster Pond. Renting a car would not be very practical if you are traveling to St. Maarten via cruise ship. Several car rental companies are available for tourists at both Princess Juliana International Airport in Dutch Sint Maarten and at Grand Case airport in French Saint Martin. These rental car companies usually charge around $30 (€25) per day.
- Public Transportation: In Saint Martin, the main method of public transportation is the bus, it is also the cheapest form of transportation on the island with the cost of a one-way ticket ranging from $1 to $3 (€0.86 to €2.50) per person. This is a method of transportation that many tourists rely on during their stay in St. Maarten. The buses in Saint Martin have frequent routes that stop at major cities on the island including areas near Oyster Pond such as the Dutch Quarter. From these locations, it is possible to take a taxi to the Oyster Pond area. Each bus has an identifying marker that states the driver’s route which is usually a sign in the front window that indicates the starting and ending point of the route. Tourists disembarking their cruise ship at the port in Philipsburg can walk for approximately 10 minutes to the center of Phillipsburg to catch a bus to the Dutch Quarter; these buses pass by every 15 minutes or so. The trip from Philipsburg to Oyster Pond should take no longer than 25 minutes one way. The same route should be followed on your way back to the cruise ship port from Oyster Pond. Make sure to leave plenty of time for travel to board the cruise ship before its departure if you are traveling to St. Maarten via cruise ship.
- Taxi: Taxis are readily available throughout Saint Martin and are a form of transportation that a lot of tourists rely on when they visit St. Maarten. Usually, these taxis are vans that can carry up to 10 people. Taxis are especially available at the arrival section of the cruise ship port in Philipsburg, at major hotels on the island as well as at Princess Juliana International Airport. Drivers usually only accept cash in both Euros and U.S Dollars. The prices of each taxi ride can range from $4 to $45 (€3.5 to €40) depending on the distance and timing of your trip to Oyster Pond. It is important to agree on a rate with the driver before entering the taxi. There are no Lyft or Uber services available on the island of Saint Martin.
What are the facts about Oyster Pond?
The small town of Oyster Pond has many interesting facts that visitors should know before they visit. Some interesting facts about Oyster Pond are listed below.
- The town of Oyster Bay is located on the French/Dutch border of St. Maarten, so the town is split between the French and Dutch sides of the island.
- There is a ferry that can be taken from Oyster Pond to the nearby island of St. Barths. The cost for a round-trip ticket is $67 (€60) per person.
- Oyster Pond suffered extensive damage due to Hurricane Irma in 2017. The local government is still working towards restoring this town to its former glory.
- Oyster Pond is located near Dawn Beach which is a very popular beach among surfers because of the high waves that occur there.
- Oyster Bay is home to the Oyster Bay Beach Resort which is one of the most popular resorts on the island of Saint Martin.
Is entrance to Oyster Pond of Saint Martin free?
No, Oyster Pond is not free to enter. Oyster Pond has a harbor with 38 docks that are owned by different businesses that provide different entertaining tours, and activities that tourists can engage in. In order to enter Oyster Pond tourists visiting St. Maarten have to rent jet skis, boats, or other watercraft or book a tour from the local businesses that own the docks. The tours and activities provided in Oyster Pond include jet-skiing, paddle boarding, sailing, fishing, and more. All of the activities in Oyster Pond vary in price and can cost from $50 to $1,300 (€44 to €1,153) per person depending on what type of tour is booked.
Is Oyster Pond good for children?
Yes, Oyster Pond and the surrounding area of Oyster Bay is an excellent place for families with children of all ages. Many families enjoy the quiet and relaxing nature of Oyster Pond and the nearby Dawn Beach, the peaceful and remoteness of these locations are ideal for families who are seeking the perfect surroundings for quality family time.
There is a famous resort located in Oyster Pond called “The Westin Dawn Beach Resort & Spa”, this is one of the most kid-friendly hotels on the entire island of St. Maarten. The Westin Dawn Beach Resort & Spa has a “kid’s club” that schedules kid-friendly activities for children during the day as well as several kid-friendly restaurants with kid’s menus.
Oyster Pond is also close by to the towns of Philipsburg and Simpson Bay, these towns have a wide array of interesting activities for children such as snorkeling at the beach, ice cream shops, and kid-friendly museums.
Do hurricanes affect Oyster Pond?
Yes, Oyster Pond has been greatly affected by several Hurricanes over the years, especially in recent years. Hurricane Irma (September 2017) and Hurricane Maria (September 2017) caused great destruction in Oyster Pond, many structures such as sailboats, yachts, homes, resorts, restaurants, and cars were completely destroyed. Although there has been much progress in restoring the town of Oyster Pond that has still managed to maintain its beauty, the destruction caused by these two hurricanes can still be seen by those who visit Oyster Pond.
Has Oyster Pond recovered from Hurricane Irma?
No, unfortunately, Oyster Pond has not fully recovered from the damage caused by Hurricane Irma in 2017. Hurricane Irma caused extensive damage to the harbor in Oyster Pond; the storm destroyed yachts, sailboats, homes, businesses, restaurants, and more all over the town. Just about every building in Oyster Pond was damaged in some way by Hurricane Irma.
Since Hurricane Irma, there has been a measure of success in restoring the town of Oyster Pond, many restaurants and resorts have reopened since the storm and the town has retained its stunning natural beauty. However, the devastation of the storm can still be seen and felt by those who visit.
What to know about Oyster Pond?
Oyster Pond is a small town on the eastern coast of St. Maarten. When visiting Oyster Pond tourists should know that the town has been extensively damaged by Hurricane Irma and Hurricane Maria both in 2017. Oyster Pond is still not fully recovered from the damage that occurred, many sailboats, yachts, and businesses along the marina had to close down.
However, Oyster Pond still remains naturally beautiful, and many tourists still come here to enjoy the beautiful east coast sunsets as well as the rugged and natural beauty. Oyster Bay is also home to the “Oyster Bay Beach Resort” which is one of the most popular hotels on the island of St. Martin.
Is Oyster Pond loud?
No, Oyster Pond is not a loud place. Oyster Pond is known for its serene and tranquil atmosphere, this is partially due to its proximity to the French side of the island of St. Maarten, which has a significantly a smaller number of tourists than its Dutch counterpart.
Oyster Pond is located on the eastern coast of St. Maarten and is on a part of the island where there are not many main roads nearby, so there is not much noise from the street or passing cars. Many tourists come to Oyster Pond to retreat from the stress of everyday life and enjoy the naturally beautiful surroundings.
What should you wear in Oyster Pond?
St. Maarten as an island has a tropical climate, this means that the island experiences warm temperatures and sun all year long. The weather in Oyster Bay along with being sunny and warm like the rest of the island is known to be quite windy due to its location near the Atlantic Ocean. The clothing that locals and tourists choose to wear should be suitable for warm yet occasionally windy weather. The clothing that can be worn at Oyster Pond is listed below.
- Sun hats
- Light jacket or sweater
- Flip Flops
- Boat Shoes
What are the activities that can be done in Oyster Pond?
Oyster Pond is a small town that is famous for its tranquil and serene atmosphere. A visit to Oyster Pond is one of the most relaxing things to do in St. Martin. Many come specially to enjoy the natural surroundings as well as the marina along Oyster Pond that has many different activities for tourists and locals to engage in. There are not as many activities available to do on Oyster Pond as there are in some of the towns in southern Dutch Sint Maarten. The activities available to do in Oyster Pond and the surrounding nearby areas are listed below.
- Fishing on Oyster Pond
- Visiting Dawn Beach
- Sailing on Oyster Pond
- Trying the nearby restaurants
- Relax at Nectar Wellness Spa
- Shopping at the Shipwreck shop
Can you fish in Oyster Pond?
Yes, fishing is possible on Oyster Pond. Oyster Pond is one of the most popular fishing towns in St. Martin. Oyster Pond has a marina with 38 docks that are owned by several businesses, some of which offer fishing tours in Oyster Pond, deep-sea fishing tours in the Atlantic Ocean, and multi-day fishing charters.
Some of the fish that can be caught in Oyster Pond and the surrounding waters are tuna, snapper, grouper, mahi-mahi, and marlin. Most of the tours that offer fishing in Oyster Bay cost around $150 per person for a half-day and $250 per person for a full day. These prices include bait and tackle, instructions for beginners, and refreshments.
Residents of St. Maarten do not need a fishing license for recreational fishing on the island of St. Maarten. Tourists can go fishing if they are using a service or tour that has a legal fishing charter with the proper permitting.
Can you swim in Oyster Pond?
No, swimming is not recommended in Oyster Pond. The reason why swimming is not recommended in Oyster Pond is that it is a harbor where many boats and yachts dock. The harbor at Oyster Pond has 38 docks that are owned by different businesses that solicit different activities for tourists to do on the pond such as fishing, jet skiing, sailing, and more. All of the activity that takes place on Oyster Pond makes it inconvenient for people to swim. However, many tourists who stay in Oyster Pond decide to visit the nearby Dawn Beach. This beach is ideal for swimming and is named after its incredible sunrises and views of the island of St. Barths.
Can you rent a car in Oyster Pond?
Yes, it is possible to rent a car in Oyster Pond. In fact, Oyster Pond has some of the most highly rated car rental companies on the entire island of St. Maarten. Tourists often rent cars through the Oyster Bay Beach Resort which is located in Oyster Pond. The rental car businesses in affiliation with the Oyster Pond Beach Resort are known for their high quality of service which offer secure and reliable rental cars at valuable rates. The cost to rent a car in Oyster Pond is typically around $30 (€25) per day.
What are the best clubs in Oyster Pond?
There are no nightclubs that are located in Oyster Pond. Oyster Pond is located toward the French side of the island of Saint Martin, this side is known for being much quieter and laid back than the Dutch side of Sint Maarten. The best clubs in Sint Maarten are located on the Dutch side of the island.
How is the nightlife in Oyster Pond?
There is not much nightlife in the town of Oyster Pond. Oyster Pond is a relatively small coastal town in Sint Maarten that is known for its quiet and relaxing nature. Oyster Pond reflects the atmosphere of the French side of Saint Martin which is known to be calm and laid back. Oyster Pond would appeal to travelers who are looking for a serene and relaxing getaway.
Oyster Pond is located about 30 minutes away from the town of Simpson Bay and around 10 minutes from the town of Philipsburg. Simpson Bay and Philipsburg are known on the island of Saint Martin for having very vibrant nightlife, the streets are lined with casinos, nightclubs, and bars. So those visiting Oyster Pond are definitely not far away from experiencing the exciting nightlife of St. Maarten.
What are the best restaurants in Oyster Pond?
Saint Martin has a reputation for its delicious cuisine and plethora of fine restaurants. Oyster Pond has no shortage of restaurants that leave tourists longing for their tasty food. Some of the best restaurants in Saint Martin are in the small town of Oyster Pond. The best restaurants in Oyster Pond are listed below.
- Mama Pizza
- BZH Creperie
- Big Fish Seafood Grill
- Le P’tite Pause
- Oasis Restaurant & Pizzeria
Where to stay in Oyster Pond?
St. Maarten is an island that is full of wonderful and luxurious hotels. The small town of Oyster Pond has some of the greatest hotels on the entire island of St. Maarten. The best hotels that are located in Oyster Pond are listed below.
- Oyster Bay Beach Resort
- The Westin Dawn Beach Resort & Spa
- Princess Heights Hotel