Cupecoy Beach is famous for being one of the most picturesque beaches on the entire island of St. Maarten. Cupecoy Beach is located on the southwestern shore of St. Maarten right under the French/Dutch border. Cupecoy Beach is actually composed of three small, secluded beaches that are surrounded by rugged limestone cliffs. The natural beauty of Cupecoy Beach is astonishing, the colors of the golden cliffs beautifully contrast with the cyan waves that crash against the shore. This beach is perfect for anyone looking to get away from the crowds and soak in the gorgeous surroundings.
Many who visit Cupecoy Beach enjoy exploring the natural caves and rock formations that have been naturally carved by the waves of the ocean over the years. These rock formations and caves create a natural barrier from the sun and provide shade for beachgoers. Cupecoy Beach is also known for being frequented by experienced surfers. The waves on Cupecoy Beach can vary from calm to very rough depending on the time of day and year.
Cupecoy Beach is also well known for being one of the “clothing-optional” beaches on the shores of St. Maarten. Although Cupecoy Beach is not an official nude beach it is one of the only beaches on the Dutch side of St. Maarten where toplessness and full nudity are practiced and tolerated. The seclusion and charm of Cupecoy Beach make it the perfect location for those who want to soak in the warm rays of the sun in the nude.
Table of Contents
- Where is Cupecoy Beach?
- How to go to Cupecoy Beach?
- What are the things to know before going to Cupecoy Beach?
- Are there nudists at Cupecoy Beach?
- Is Cupecoy Beach LGBT+ friendly?
- How is the weather in Cupecoy Beach?
- Where to stay near Cupecoy Beach?
- What are the facilities at Cupecoy Beach?
- What activities are available to do in Cupecoy Beach?
- How is the water and view in Cupecoy Beach?
- Where are the caves at Cupecoy Beach?
- What are the clubs in Cupecoy Beach?
- What are the restaurants in Cupecoy Beach?
- Is Cupecoy safe to visit?
Where is Cupecoy Beach?
Cupecoy Beach is located on the southwestern shores of the island of St. Maarten, just south of the French/Dutch border on the Dutch side of the island. The coordinates of Cupecoy Beach are 18.0525° N, 63.1376° W.
What does a map of Cupecoy Beach contain?
On the map above there is an arrow pointing to Cupecoy Beach which is on the border of French Saint Martin and Dutch Sint Maarten. The location of Cupecoy Beach on the western coast of St. Maarten, as well as the areas surrounding Cupecoy Beach on both the French and Dutch sides of St. Maarten such as Les Terres Basses, La Baie Nettlé, The Lowlands, Simpson Bay, La Belle Creole, and Sandy Ground, can also be seen.
What does a video of Cupecoy Beach show?
Below you’ll find a YouTube video that shows an overview of Cupecoy Beach, St. Maarten.
How to go to Cupecoy Beach?
Cupecoy Beach is a common tourist attraction in St. Maarten, this makes it an easy location to travel to from most points on the island. There are several different forms of transport that make it possible to travel to Cupecoy beach whether you are coming to St. Maarten via cruise ship or staying at one of the hotels on the island for an extended time. Some of these different methods of transportation are via public transport, taxi, and rental car. The different methods that can be used to get to Cupecoy Beach are listed and explained below.
- Public transportation: The main method of public transportation in Saint Martin is the bus, it is also the cheapest form of transportation on the island with the cost of a one-way ticket ranging from $1 to $3 (€0.86 to €2.50) per person. This is a method of transportation that many tourists rely on during their stay in St. Maarten. The buses in Saint Martin have frequent routes that stop at major cities on the island that are near Cupecoy Beach such as Cupecoy, Maho Bay, and Mullet Bay. Each bus has an identifying marker that states the driver’s route which is usually a sign in the front window that indicates the starting and ending point of the route. Tourists disembarking their cruise ship at the port in Philipsburg can walk for approximately 10 minutes to the center of Phillipsburg to catch a bus to either Cupecoy, Maho Bay, or Mullet Bay, from here they can take a taxi that will take them to the nearby Cupecoy Beach, this trip will take about 35 minutes. These buses pass by every 15 minutes or so. The same route should be followed on your way back to the cruise ship port from Cupecoy Beach. Make sure to leave plenty of time for travel to board the cruise ship before its departure if you are traveling to St. Maarten via cruise ship.
- Taxi: Taxis are readily available throughout Saint Martin and are a form of transportation that a lot of tourists rely on when they visit St. Maarten. Usually, these taxis are vans that can carry up to 10 people. Taxis are especially available at the arrival section of the cruise ship port in Philipsburg, at major hotels on the island as well as at Princess Juliana International airport. Drivers usually only accept cash in both Euros and U.S Dollars. The prices of each taxi ride can range from $4 to $45 (€3.5 to €40) depending on the distance and timing of your trip to Cupecoy Beach. It is important to agree on a rate with the driver before entering the taxi. There are no Lyft or Uber services available on the island of Saint Martin.
- Renting a car: Most travelers choose to rent a car during their stay in Saint Martin. This is a good option if you are planning to stay in St. Maarten for an extended time and would like to explore more parts of the island independently, including Cupecoy Beach. Renting a car would not be very practical if you are traveling to St. Maarten via cruise ship. Several car rental companies are available for tourists at both Princess Juliana International Airport in Dutch Sint Maarten and at Grand Case Airport in French Saint Martin. These rental car companies usually charge around $30 (€25) per day. The ride to Cupecoy Beach should take about 40 minutes at most from any point on the island of St. Martin.
Is entrance onto Cupecoy Beach free?
Yes, entrance onto Cupecoy Beach is free.
What are the things to know before going to Cupecoy Beach?
Cupecoy Beach is one of the famous beaches in St. Maarten that is known for its beauty as well as its seclusion. Cupecoy Beach is actually a compilation of 3 beaches that are surrounded by naturally formed caves and rugged cliffs. Due to the privacy that Cupecoy Beach affords visitors, the beach is frequented by many nude sunbathers. Since Cupecoy Beach attracts many nude beachgoers many families with small children usually decide not to visit since it is not the most “family-friendly” beach in St. Martin.
The weather at Cupecoy Beach is usually sunny and quite pleasant so it is possible to enjoy the beach during all times of the year. However, the best time of year to visit the beach is between the months of May and June because this is when the island has the most daylight and the weather is most consistent. This beach is also known for being frequented by experienced surfers. The waves on Cupecoy Beach can vary from calm to very rough depending on the time of day and year.
There are no facilities available at Cupecoy Beach, so it is best to bring your own beach equipment such as towels, umbrellas, beach chairs, and food. When you arrive at Cupecoy Beach there is a parking area above the beach with stairs that lead down to the beach. The stairs are quite steep and narrow so it’s important to exercise caution when walking down the stairs.
Are there nudists at Cupecoy Beach?
Yes, Cupecoy Beach is one of the most popular nude beaches on the island of St. Maarten. Nude beachgoers love Cupecoy Beach because it is so private and secluded and there are often no other people on the beach. Many people from all over the world travel to Cupecoy Beach to enjoy the beauty of the beach and soak in the sun’s rays all whilst being unencumbered by clothing, for this reason, Cupecoy beach is not very suitable for families with young children. Please read our detailed article for more information about all the nude beaches located in Saint Martin.
Is Cupecoy Beach LGBT+ friendly?
Yes, Cupecoy beach is an LGBT+ friendly beach. In fact, Cupecoy beach is one of the most popular beaches often visited by the LGBT+ community on the island of St. Maarten. The far end of Cupecoy beach is known for being a gathering place for the gay and lesbian population who are visiting St. Maarten. However, Cupecoy Beach is not officially a “gay beach” and all are welcome to visit.
How is the weather in Cupecoy Beach?
The weather in Cupecoy beach is usually around 85°F (29°C) and stays near that temperature throughout the year. The weather in St. Martin, in general, is usually tropical and sunny all year round. Since the sun is always usually out, it makes for the perfect opportunity for beachgoers who are looking to soak in the rays of the sun and work on their tan.
Where to stay near Cupecoy Beach?
There are many amazing hotels and villas to stay at near Cupecoy Beach. These hotels have comfortable bedrooms and amazing facilities such as hot tubs and outdoor pools. These hotels also have luxurious rooms with sweepingly beautiful panoramic ocean views. The best hotels and villas in Cupecoy beach are listed below.
- Sapphire Beach Club & Resort
- Adonis Cupecoy
- Cupecoy Beach Club
- Residence Adam and Eve
- Porto Cupecoy
What are the facilities at Cupecoy Beach?
There are no facilities available at Cupecoy Beach. The beach is known for its quiet and solitude. Many go there for quiet and solitude and even to sunbathe in the nude. It is best to bring your own beach chairs, umbrellas, towels, and whatever else you will need for your beach day.
What activities are available to do in Cupecoy Beach?
There are many things to do at Cupecoy Beach, many of the activities available for people to do are completely free. Visiting Cupecoy Beach is one of the most popular things to do while visiting St. Maarten. Some of the activities available to do at Cupecoy beach are listed below.
- Exploring the natural caves
How is the water and view in Cupecoy Beach?
The three beaches that make up Cupecoy Beach have an outstanding beauty that sets it apart from the other beaches in St. Maarten. Cupecoy Beach has beautiful golden sandy beaches and glistening cyan water that are all framed by ruggedly beautiful limestone cliffs. The views at this beach are simply astonishing and some visitors to the beach describe the surroundings as even being “healing to their body and mind”.
The waters at Cupecoy Beach are known to be temperamental at times depending on the time of the day the waters can range from being quite calm to very rough. Many surfers frequent Cupecoy Beach to take advantage of the high waves. Many who visit Cupecoy beach simply don’t want to leave the gorgeous paradisaic conditions because it’s one of the best places in Saint Martin to visit!
Where are the caves at Cupecoy Beach?
Yes, there are caves that are located on Cupecoy Beach that have occurred due to being naturally carved by the waves of the ocean over the years. These rock formations and caves create a natural barrier from the sun and provide shade for beachgoers. These caves can be found all throughout Cupecoy Beach, many people travel to this beach to explore these beautifully natural and rugged caves.
What are the clubs in Cupecoy Beach?
There are no clubs located in Cupecoy Beach. The beach is famous for being private and secluded, so large groups of people do not commonly gather here. The best clubs in St. Maarten can be found on the Dutch side of St. Maarten in more populated areas such as Maho Bay, Philipsburg, and Simpson Bay.
What are the restaurants in Cupecoy Beach?
Not only is Cupecoy Beach known for its stunning sights but also the amazing restaurants in the nearby area that surround the beach. These restaurants serve a variety of cuisines such as French, Caribbean, Italian, Asian, Mediterranean, and more. Some of these restaurants can even be considered the best restaurants in St. Maarten. The best restaurants in surrounding Cupecoy Beach are listed below.
- Mario’s Bistro at the cliff
- Rendezvous Lounge
- Dany’s Beach Bar
Is Cupecoy safe to visit?
Yes, Cupecoy is a safe place for all to visit. The entire island of St. Maarten is considered a relatively safe island to visit within the Caribbean. There have not been many reports of crime at Cupecoy Beach. As when traveling anywhere it is important to follow safety precautions such as being aware of your surroundings, traveling in groups, and traveling around the island with a minimum amount of jewelry, cash, and other valuables.
Did Hurricane Irma affect Cupecoy Beach?
Yes, Hurricane Irma affected Cupecoy Beach and the entire island of St. Martin In 2017. The hurricane hit the entire island very hard, many buildings, homes, hotels, restaurants, and other tourist destinations near Cupecoy Beach were completely destroyed. Since Hurricane Irma, the island has worked hard and succeeded in restoring Cupecoy Beach to its former glory.