Le Galion Beach is one of the most amazing and beautiful beaches on the island of St. Martin. Unfortunately, since Hurricane Irma in 2017, the beach has been closed to the public and all the restaurants that were on the beach were destroyed. Tourist information for St. Martin and Le Galion Beach is going to be provided in the following article. Le Galion Baie is located on the French side of Saint Martin.
Le Galion Beach has shallow and calm waters that kept visitors coming all year round when the beach was open to the public, especially families with young children. Visitors came to Le Galion Beach to enjoy the beach and the different activities that could be done there, such as surfing, kayaking, Hawaiian style paddling, among other activities.
Table of Contents
- Where is Le Galion Beach located?
- What are the ways to go to Le Galion Beach?
- What types of clothing can be worn at Le Galion Beach?
- What activities can be done on Le Galion Beach?
- What are the facts about Le Galion Beach?
Where is Le Galion Beach located?
Le Galion Beach is located in Quartier D’Orleans next to “Salines D’Orient” lake and between Orient Beach and Oyster Pond. Le Galion Beach is 3.29 miles (5.3 km) away from L’Espérance Airport and about 1.42 miles (2.3 km) away from the popular Orient Beach. The coordinates of Le Galion Baie are 18.0783° N, 63.0166° W.
Which country governs Le Galion Beach?
Le Galion Beach is governed by the French government. The reason for this is that Le Galion Beach is located on the French side of Saint Martin. St. Maarten is a dually-owned island in the Caribbean that is owned by both the French and Dutch nations. The northern side of the island is owned by France and the southern side of the island is owned by the Netherlands. There is a border division that divides the French-owned and Dutch-owned sides of the island. Tourists and locals alike can cross from the Dutch side to the French side without any problem.
What are the ways to go to Le Galion Beach?
Le Galion Beach was one of the favorite spots for so many families before the beach was permanently closed due to Hurricane Irma striking the island in 2017. Some ways that were used to get to Le Galion Baie are listed below.
- By hailing a cab: Tourists could hail a cab from anywhere in St. Maarten to get to Le Galion Beach. The price to hail a cab on Saint Martin is from $8 to $45 (€18 to €39) per ride, the price can vary due to distance and timing.
- By renting a car: Visitors coming from different locations on St. Martin can drive to the town of Quarter of Orleans and continue straight on the “Rue De Round de Pond” street for a few minutes. There will be a right turn to the “Rue du Coconut Grove”. Guests were able to then follow the road to the end and finally get to Le Galion Baie. The price per day of renting a car in St. Maarten is between $28 to $63 (€25 to €57).
- By bus: Tourists were able to use local buses to move around St. Martin and get to Le Galion Beach. The bus station, near the cruise ship port in Philipsburg, has buses going to all the major towns including the beach of Orient Bay, which was nearby Le Galion Baie. When tourists were on “Rue du Coconut Grove”, they could leave the bus and walk straight for two minutes to get to the beach. Buses in St. Maarten are normally equipped with a sign in their front windows that displays their final destination. Drivers in St. Maarten are happy to help tourists to take the right bus. The price per bus ride in St. Maarten ranges from $1 to $3 (€0.88 to €2.63) per person.
When is the best time to go to Le Galion Beach?
The best time to go to Le Galion Beach when it was open to the public was in the late afternoon when the families leave. The weather in St. Martin during this time is generally sunny, windy, and fresh year-round. Tourists also choose to visit in the summer for the warmest weather or in the fall or spring for cheaper hotel rates and a lesser chance of rain.
Is Le Galion Beach closed?
Yes, Le Galion Beach has been closed since 2017 when a category 5 hurricane named Hurricane Irma struck the island of St. Maarten. This was the strongest hurricane ever recorded on the island of St. Maarten, with winds exceeding 178.3 mph (287 km/hr) and waves exceeding 26 ft (8 m). Hurricane Irma destroyed piers, rafts, and restaurants in Le Galion Beach. Although the sea remains clear, nearby debris persists on the beach. At this moment those buildings and areas have not been repaired.
What are the best clubs near Le Galion Beach?
Le Galion Beach is located on the French side of the island of St. Maarten. The French side of the island is known to be the quietest area in Saint Martin, and is also known for having towns such as Grand Case, which is the culinary capital of Saint Martin. There are no nightclubs on Le Galion Beach. The best clubs in St. Martin are located on the Dutch side of Sint Maarten. The best clubs that are near Le Galion Beach are mentioned below.
- X-Lounge is a nightclub and bar located in Simpson Bay, just 8.4 miles (13.5 km) from Le Galion Baie. X-Lounge is known for its unique atmosphere, friendly staff and is a popular place for locals and tourists to visit in St. Maarten. The bar provides a pleasant atmosphere with comfortable seats that provides an intimate setting for socializing with friends and family. Drinks at X-Lounge are also extremely affordable such as mixed drinks starting at $4 (€3.5) and liquor starting at $6 (€5). X-Lounge is open every day from 6 pm to 2 am and the dress code is considered casual.
- Topper’s Restaurant and Bar is located in Simpson Bay, just 8.2 miles (13.2 km) from Le Galion Beach. This restaurant has been serving guests for over a decade and is a restaurant that features classic American culture and cuisine. There are fun activities such as dancing and karaoke that are featured from Thursday to Sunday evenings. Topper’s Restaurant and Bar offers a happy hour every day from 1 pm to 6 pm. The hours of operation are between 7 am and 2 am every day of the week and the dress code is casual. A night at Topper’s Restaurant and Bar normally costs between $20 to $80 (€17 to €70) per person.
- The Hole in the Wall is located in Maho Beach, just 11.4 miles (18.3 km) from Le Galion Baie. There is live music, usually played by talented local artists, every night at The Hole in the Wall from 9 pm to 12 pm. All guests are free to dance and enjoy the music played from the eras of the 60s to the 80s. The Hole in the Wall has reasonably priced drinks, an extensive and delicious food menu available, and bartenders who will make the night even better with their service. This is one of the most family-friendly places on the island for experiencing the nightlife in Saint Martin. This venue fills up quickly so it’s important to get there early or reserve a table to be able to enjoy the entertainment and the cocktails. The Hole in the Wall is open every day from 6 pm to 2 am.
What are the best restaurants near Le Galion Beach?
Le Galion Beach is located on the French side of the island of St. Maarten, which is known throughout the Caribbean for its culinary prowess. On the French side of the island, tourists can definitely find the best restaurants in St. Martin. The best restaurants near Le Galion Beach are mentioned below.
- Perch Bar & Grill is located in Orient Beach just 1.36 miles (2.2 km) from Le Galion Beach. The quality and flavor of the food are just as good as their prices. The price for two meals with drinks ranges from $25 to $30 (€22 to €27). Happy Hour runs from 1:30 pm to 2:30 pm daily where guests can buy two drinks for the price of one and if they purchase one beer, they can buy a second beer for half the price. It’s also possible to have lunch or a drink in the nude at Perch Bar & Grill, which is not possible at the other restaurants along Orient Beach.
- Coco Beach is located in Orient Beach just 1.7 miles (2.7 km) from Le Galion Beach and 2.4 miles (3.9 km) from the Grand Case-Espérance Airport. The restaurant provides delicious French and Caribbean food with vegetarian and vegan options available. The staff at Coco Beach is really friendly and attentive, always looking for ways to make guests feel comfortable. Coco Beach is open from 9 am to 6 pm every day.
- L’ Astrolabe Restaurant is located in Orient Beach just 1.6 miles (2.6 km) from Le Galion Baie and 2.3 miles (3.7 km) from the Grand Case-Espérance Airport. The restaurant offers an outstanding menu based on French food with vegetarian, gluten-free, and vegan options available. Guests can enjoy the romantic atmosphere and the absolutely delicious food that L’Astrolabe Restaurant provides. L’ Astrolabe Restaurant is open from 6:30 am to 10 pm every day.
What are the best resorts near Le Galion Beach?
The best resorts located near Le Galion Beach are in the community of Orient Bay and Oyster Pond. Some of the best hotels in St. Martin are located in these areas. The best resorts near Le Galion Beach are listed below:
- Orient Beach Hotel is located on Orient Bay Beach, just 1.9 miles (3.1 km) from Le Galion Beach and 2.7 miles (4.3 km) from Grand Case-Espérance Airport. Orient Beach Hotel is the only hotel directly on Orient Bay Beach and was totally renovated in 2020. This beautiful hotel offers the perfect combination of luxury and comfort and has 35 beachfront junior suites. Some of the complimentary services available at the Orient Beach Hotel are breakfast, massages, water-sports, beach bars, beach chairs, and umbrellas. At Orient Beach Hotel the price ranges from $825 to $1,261 (€750 to €1,146) per night and may vary due to season or the type of room.
- Hôtel Esmeralda Resort is the only four-star hotel in the area of Orient Bay, just 1.6 miles (2.6 km) from Le Galion Baie and 2.4 miles (3.8 km) from Grand Case-Espérance Airport. Hôtel Esmeralda Resort owns Esmeralda’s Coco Beach Bar and L’Astrolabe which offer beachfront lunches, cocktails, French Creole cuisine, and continental cuisine. The Hôtel Esmeralda Resort includes breakfast and pets are allowed. The price ranges from $200 to $487 (€181 to €443) per night and may vary because of the type of room or season.
- Oyster Bay Beach Resort is located on Oyster Pond, just 1.6 miles (2.6 km) from Le Galion Beach and 7.4 miles (11.8 km) from Grand Case-Espérance Airport. Oyster Bay Beach Resort is a family resort with a friendly staff, breathtaking ocean views, a white sand beach, and an escape from the everyday routine. The staff speaks multiple languages fluently such as Spanish, English, French, and Italian. The price ranges from $137 to $329 (€181 to €443) per night for a standard room and prices may vary because of the season or the type of room.
What are the tours for Saint Martin near Le Galion Beach?
There are no tours to visit or depart from Le Galion Beach because it is closed since Hurricane Irma in 2017. However, both Dutch Sint Maarten and French Saint Martin have exciting tours for visitors. The Dutch side of St. Maarten has more options for tours and even more variety of tours that are available. The average cost of tours in St. Maarten is between $50 to $250 (€44 to €219) per person. Some of the more popular types of tours are listed below.
- Family tours: This is an opportunity for every family member to enjoy some of the fun activities that the island of St. Martin has to offer such as kayaking, snorkeling, excursions, beach visits, and much more. The average cost for a family tour is between $90 to $130 (€79 to €114) per person above the age of 12 years and between $20 to $70 (€18 to €61) per person for children aged 12 years and under. The family tours can be between 3 hours and 8 hours long depending on the type of activities in the tour.
- Romantic tours: Couples can enjoy the sunset cruises, intimate beach strolls, gourmet meals, and complimentary champagne bottles that are often featured on romantic tours on the island of St. Maarten. The romantic tours usually occur in the evening and can be at least 2 hours long. The average cost of a romantic tour in Saint Martin is between $40 to $100 (€35 to €88) per person.
- Island tours: This kind of tour allows tourists to experience more than one exotic island destination during their vacation such as St. Barths, Anguilla, Saba, and other smaller islands that are part of St. Martin, such as Tintamarre and Pinel Island. The average cost of an island tour in Saint Martin is between $100 to $150 (€88 to €131) per person excluding island port fees which cost between $20 to $30 (€18 to €26) per person. Island tours from Saint Martin can last 8 hours to 9 hours.
What types of clothing can be worn at Le Galion Beach?
When tourists visited Le Galion Beach, they wore beachwear. The weather in Le Galion Beach is usually sunny and windy. Le Galion Baie was not a nudist beach. Things that can be worn in Le Galion Beach are listed below.
What activities can be done on Le Galion Beach?
There are no activities in Le Galion Beach. As a result of Hurricane Irma, Le Galion Beach has been destroyed and no activities are available. There are a lot of things to do in St. Martin, such as hiking, kayaking, diving, dancing, and many other activities that tourists can find in different parts of the island. Some of the activities that were available in Le Galion Beach are:
- Paddling in a Hawaiian-style
What are the night activities in Le Galion Beach?
There are no night activities in Le Galion Beach at this moment. Due to Hurricane Irma, the Le Galion Baie area was destroyed and there are no activities or restaurants available.
What are the facts about Le Galion Beach?
Some interesting facts about Le Galion Beach are listed below.
- Le Galion Beach was the most visited beach for families on St. Martin.
- Le Galion Beach was destroyed by Hurricane Irma in 2017.
- Le Galion Beach was also called “Coconut Grove”.
- Le Galion Beach is part of St. Martin’s Marine Reserve.
- Le Galion Beach was also known as Baie de L’Embouchure because this beach is surrounded by a coral reef that serves as protection and allows calm waters on the beach.
How have hurricanes affected Le Galion Beach?
The hurricanes have left Le Galion Beach destroyed, especially Hurricane Irma. When Hurricane Irma made landfall at Saint Martin on September 6th, 2017, the hurricane wind scale rated her as a category 5 hurricane. Irma was the most powerful hurricane that struck Saint Martin over the last century. The restaurants in the area have not been able to reopen, there is a lot of debris in the area and the reefs and corals were also damaged.
Was Le Galion Beach safe?
Yes, many tourists felt safe when they visited Le Galion Beach because of its good atmosphere and calm waves where kids could swim. Le Galion Beach was one of the best family beaches on the island of St. Martin. In general, it is safe to visit Sint Maarten, but when traveling to any other place, precautions should be taken such as carrying little cash, not walking on the street very late at night, etc.
Is Le Galion Beach kid-friendly?
Yes. Le Galion Beach was kid friendly, when it was open to the public. Visitors with small children enjoyed a quiet day at Le Galion beach, as it was one of the best family beaches in Sint Maarten due to its clear and gentle waves, as well as being very shallow, even at 298 ft (91 m) from the shore.