Nettle Beach, also known as La Baie Nettlé, is a good option for those who are looking for a peaceful and beautiful destination that is close to where the majority of restaurants and tourist attractions are. Nettle Beach is only 5 minutes away from Marigot, the French capital of Saint Martin. Nettle Beach offers breath-taking views of Marigot and the beautiful island of Anguilla.
The bay of Nettle Beach unfolds on either side of the peninsula, on the ocean side, and on the Simpson Bay Lagoon side. This creates two different yet pleasing environments within the area. Hotels and restaurants have chosen this paradisiac setting because it is a prime location for tourists to enjoy an array of different exciting activities within a single day. Across the lagoon on the other side of the road is Nettle Bay Beach, which is a beautiful beach with sugary fine sand and lush coconut trees where people enjoy sipping cocktails with their feet in the sand while experiencing a truly Caribbean-style and relaxing atmosphere. Nettle Beach is a quiet and tranquil beach that is caressed by the Caribbean winds coming in from the northeast, this factor makes Nettle Beach particularly suitable for kitesurfing lessons. Nettle Bay is considered family-friendly because of the calm waters that are easy to manage for children.
At Nettle Bay, there’s a lake where visitors can see the Simpson Bay, Terres Basses, and Cole Bay areas. The lagoon at Nettle Beach is known for its calm waters, making it a popular place for those who enjoy water sports such as jet skiing and water skiing. There are bathing spots located at Nettle Beach that can be easily accessed by parking along the road and then walking for a few minutes. Nettle Beach surely has much to offer to any tourist who comes to visit the island of St. Maarten.
Table of Contents
- What is the location of Nettle Beach?
- What are the ways to go to Nettle Beach?
- What should you wear in Nettle Beach?
- What activities can be done in Nettle Beach?
- What are the facts about Nettle Beach?
What is the location of Nettle Beach?
Nettle Beach, also known as Nettle Bay or Baie Nettlé, is located between the towns of Terres Basses and Marigot. Nettle Beach is also located 9.3 miles (15 km) from the island of Anguilla, 7.9 miles (12.7 km) away from Grand Case-L’Espérance Airport, and 4.6 miles (7.6 km) from Princess Juliana International Airport. The coordinates of Nettle Beach are 18.0628°N, 63.1128° W.
Which country governs Nettle Beach?
Nettle Beach is governed by the French government. The reason for this is that the northern half of the island of Saint Martin is owned by France. Visitors to St. Maarten may not know about the border division in St. Maarten between the French and Dutch-owned sides of the island. St. Martin is a dual-owned island in the Caribbean with the northern side being owned by France and the southern side being owned by the Netherlands. Tourists and locals alike can cross from the French side to the Dutch side without any problem.
What are the ways to go to Nettle Beach?
Travelers can go to Nettle Beach through different forms of transportation regardless of whether they are arriving on the island via cruise ship or staying at one of the hotels on the island. The different ways to go to Nettle Beach are listed below.
- Taking a bus: The island of St. Martin offers frequent bus routes that make stops in most of the major towns, including Marigot, which is near Nettle Beach. The route of each bus is described by an identifying marker, which is usually a sign in the window that shows where the route starts and ends. Visitors disembarking in Philipsburg can walk for approximately 10 minutes to the center of Philipsburg, where they can take a bus to Marigot, from where they can take a taxi to Nettle Bay. Many tourists choose this option during their stay in St. Maarten because it is the cheapest option. Buses pass by approximately every 15 minutes. The cost of a one-way ticket ranges from $1 to $3 (€0.86 to €2.50) per person.
- Renting a car: Most travelers choose to rent a car during their stay in Saint Martin when they are going to stay for a week or more and would like to explore more parts of the island on their own. Nettle Bay is accessible by car by way of Rue de Sandy Ground from nearby Marigot or Les Terres Basses. There is free parking available in Baie Nettlé. Tourists can rent a car from a variety of companies both at Princess Juliana International Airport and at Grand Case Airport. The price for renting a car is usually around $30 (€25) per day.
- Hailing a taxi: Taxis are readily available throughout Saint Martin and are a form of transportation that a lot of tourists and locals rely on. You can find taxis near the arrival section of the cruise ship port in Philipsburg, major hotels on the island, and both the Princess Juliana International Airport and Grand Case Airport. These taxis are usually vans that can carry up to 10 people, perfect for families or friends traveling together. The drivers usually accept just cash, in Euros or US Dollars. The price of each taxi ride may vary on the distance and timing of your trip and can range from $4 to $45 (€3.50 to €40). It is important to remember that there are no Uber or Lyft services available on the island of Saint Martin.
When is the best time to go to Nettle Beach?
The best time to go to Nettle Beach is from December to April because during this time there are usually warm temperatures and sunny weather. In May, the heat and humidity increase on the island of St. Martin, but rainfall is still not very abundant, and it is still out of hurricane season. June and July are less rainy than August and September and are also less likely to be hit by tropical storms and hurricanes.
What are the best clubs near Nettle Beach?
Nettle Beach has no nightclubs and neither do the nearby places. The peaceful atmosphere of Nettle Baie and surrounding towns Terres Basses and Baie Rouge is typical of many of the towns on the French side of St. Martin. Tourists come to Nettle Beach to relax and enjoy the beautiful view of the nearby island of Anguilla. The best clubs near Nettle Baie are listed below.
- Topper’s Restaurant and Bar: Located just 5.6 miles (8.9 km) from Nettle Bay in the nearby town of Simpson Bay. The menu at Topper’s Restaurant and Bar is full of American classics such as burgers, barbeque, brisket, homemade apple pies, and more. At Topper’s Restaurant and Bar there is a happy hour every day from 1 pm to 6 pm. This place was voted the #1 international restaurant by the Daily Herald. From Thursday to Sunday evenings, not only is there delicious food but also fun activities such as dancing and karaoke. This spot has live music like oldies, classic rock, modern favorites, and reggae. Normally, Topper’s Restaurant and Bar charges between $20 and $80 (€17 to €70) per meal. Topper’s Restaurant and Bar is open from 7 am to 2 am every day of the week.
- Mykonos: Located in Maho Beach on the Dutch side of Sint Maarten and 4.4 miles (7.1 km) away from Baie Nettlé is Mykonos. Mykonos is a 459 ft (140 meters) property of outdoor space with a swimming pool and a nice lounge and bar right by the sea. Mykonos hosts different DJs every weekend and all of the drinks are made by professional mixologists. Mykonos is open only on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday from 10 pm to 3 am. A night at Mykonos in Sint Maarten usually costs from $15 to $25 (€13 to €22) per person.
- Lotus Nightclub: This nightclub is one of the most visited nightclubs in St. Maarten. Lotus Nightclub is located just 5.2 miles (8.4 km) away from Nettle Bay in the neighboring town of Simpson Bay. The property is decorated like an Asian temple and provides an exotic and wildly entertaining experience for all its guests. Lotus Nightclub is a local gathering spot for all who want to have a fun night full of dancing and enjoying delicious drinks. Visitors can enjoy a special DJ planned for Friday and Saturday nights as well as “happy hour” from 10 pm to 12 pm. At Lotus Nightclub, there are special events every week, such as “ladies’ night” every Wednesday, where women get free drinks, as well as other themed events. Lotus Nightclub is open from Wednesday to Saturday from 10 pm to 4 pm. The dress code calls for elegant party/clubbing clothes. Lotus Nightclub has an entrance fee of $10 to $25 (€8 to €22) per person after 12 am.
Read the following article if you are looking for more information about the best nightclubs in Saint Martin.
What are the best restaurants near Nettle Beach?
Baie Nettlé is located on the French side of Saint Martin, an area known for its extraordinary cuisine in the entire Caribbean. The restaurants located in Baie Nettlé are some of the best restaurants in St. Martin. The best restaurants located near Baie Nettlé are listed below.
- La Cigale Restaurant: Some tourists say that La Cigale Restaurant is the best restaurant on the island. This French restaurant offers options for everyone, including vegetarian and vegan options, with friendly staff that provides high-quality service. The price per plate ranges from $35 to $100 (€31.45 to €89.86). La Cigale Restaurant is open every day from 6 pm to 10 pm. It is important to know that this area was badly affected by Hurricane Irma and the restaurant had to rebuild. La Cigale Restaurant is 1,804 ft (550 m) far from Nettle Bay Beach.
- Mezza Luna: Mezza Luna is known for having great portions of food, great prices, and tasty food. This Italian restaurant combines the Mediterranean, European and Italian flavors to create exquisite meals that guests can enjoy by the Caribbean Sea. Everyone is welcome at Mezza Luna; the restaurant proves this by providing wheelchair access in the restaurant and all the staff is ready to provide friendly treatment to everyone and make sure that every guest enjoys the dining experience at Mezza Luna. The price per plate at Mezza Luna ranges from $9 to $46 (€8 to €41). Mezza Luna is open every day from 9 am to 10 pm and is just 1,148 ft (350 m) far from Nettle Beach.
- Le Sous Marin: This French restaurant is known for its exquisite chocolate mousse, described by many as “divine” which is certainly something no one would want to miss. Le Sous Marin is open from 9 am to 5 pm and its special attention to the quality of its products is what sets it apart from any other restaurant on the island of St. Martin. In addition to its excellent cuisine, Le Sous Marin has a friendly staff that is eager to answer diner’s questions and to ensure their dining experience is memorable. Le Sous Marin also offers delicious vegetarian and vegan options. Le Sous Marin is just 2 miles (3.2 km) far from Nettle Baie.
- Les Voiles: Les Voiles is a French restaurant considered by tourists as one of the most special restaurants in Saint Martin. Les Voiles is perfect to go with a group of friends because of the food, the view from the restaurant, and the excellent staff who always strive to make sure everyone has a good time. The price per plate ranges from $28 to $56 (€25 to €36.84). Les Voiles is open every day from 7 am to 10 pm. Going day after day to Les Voiles is normal for many and not only because of the food and the attention but also because of their vouchers. On the first day, guests are rewarded with a voucher for a free welcome drink that only applies to wine, but if the guest decides not to use the voucher and comes back a second or third time then they could get free cocktails. Les Voiles is just 1,640 ft (500 m) far from Nettle Bay.
What are the best resorts near Nettle Beach?
There are a lot of fabulous resorts all over the island of Sint Maarten. Some of the best hotels in Saint Martin are located in Nettle Beach and places nearby because of its relaxing atmosphere. The best resorts in Nettle Bay are listed below.
- Sapphire Beach Club & Resort: This resort is located 3.2 miles (5.1 km) away from Nettle Bay and 1.7 miles (2.8 km) from Princess Juliana International Airport. Sapphire Beach Club & Resort has an outstanding ocean view, several restaurants within walking distance, and access to a beautiful beach. The hotel offers Wi-Fi, a swimming pool, a fitness center, and soundproof rooms. The staff at Sapphire Beach Club & resort are friendly and welcoming and are always trying to help guests to have an amazing experience. The rates per night range from $153 to $254 (€138 to €228).
- Hommage Hotel & Residences: Located 4.7 miles (7.6 km) away from Princess Juliana International Airport. The beautiful Hommage Hotel & Residences feature an infinity pool, an exceptional museum garden with art pieces, a water sports facility, and rooms with views of the ocean, lagoon, or gardens. The staff is courteous, kind, and professional. The rates per night range from $180 to $250 (€161 to €224).
- La Samanna: Located on Baie Longue, just 2.6 miles (4.1 km) away from Nettle Bay. This luxurious five-star resort is 2.8 miles (4.5 km) from Princess Juliana International Airport. La Samanna offers crystal-clear waters, exciting water sports, calming floral oils that linger after a couples’ massage, and other options are also available. The hotel also has an extensive wine cellar, tennis courts, swimming pools, a fitness center, and a spa. The rates per night range from $515 to $1,629 (€456 to €1,443).
What are the tours for Sint Maarten Nettle Beach?
There are no tours available from Nettle Beach. The tours in Sint Maarten allow tourists to explore the scenery and culture around the island as well as venture off to other neighboring islands such as Saba, Anguilla, and others. Some of the best tours that are offered nearby Baie Nettlé are explained below.
- The Tropical Sailing Catamaran Beach and Snorkel Tour is a family-friendly shore-trip cruise in St. Maarten which includes yachting, snorkeling, and a beach visit to at least 3 beaches on the island depending on the weather. The tour departs from a cruise ship terminal called Bobby’s Marina in Philipsburg, located just 9.0 miles (14.4 km) away from Nettle Beach. A minimum of 20 travelers must board the catamaran. Roundtrip transport from hotels is included in the overall price. The tour can arrange transportation from a pickup location for an extra fee of $12 (€10). Travelers with a car can use the parking lot for $1 (€0.90) per hour so travelers can expect to spend at least $7 (€6) for parking during the trip.The Tropical Sailing Catamaran Beach and Snorkel Tour has a 5-star online rating, and this 6-hour tour begins at 10 am. The average cost for the Tropical Sailing Catamaran Beach and Snorkel Tour is $119 (€104) per person. During the Tropical Sailing Catamaran Beach and Snorkel Tour passengers get the opportunity to jump on trampolines in the front of the boat, enjoy snacks, fresh tropical beverages, and locally made Saint Martin liquors. The catamaran also includes swimming noodles, snorkeling gear, snorkeling vests for children and inexperienced swimmers, assisted training for the use of snorkeling equipment.
- Jet Ski & Waverunner Tour is a fascinating family-friendly jet skiing tour in Sint Maarten that allows for the exploration of both the Dutch and the French side of St. Martin on a jet ski. The Jet Ski & Waverunner Tour allows jet ski riders to cruise along the most popular beaches with a guide who leads the jet ski ride along the coastline. Transportation is not included in the package and visitors will have to arrange their own transportation to the jet ski location which is situated at Great Bay Beach in Philipsburg which is the Dutch capital of Sint Maarten at just 7.7 miles (12.4 km) away from Nettle Bay. The Jet Ski & Waverunner Tour has an online rating of 5 out of 5 stars. The duration of this exciting jet ski tour is 2 hours and 30 minutes. This tour is offered 7 days a week and twice a day at 10 am and 1 pm. The average cost of the Jet Ski & Waverunner Tour is $185 (€162) per person.
What should you wear in Nettle Beach?
At Nettle Beach, tourists can wear beach clothes according to their preference. The weather is always sunny and windy. It is important to mention that Nettle Bay is not a nudist beach. Things that tourists can wear at Baie Nettlé are listed below.
- Beach dresses
- Bathing suits
- Caps or hats to protect their heads from the sun
- Beach shoes to protect their feet from little rocks
What activities can be done in Nettle Beach?
Tourists coming to Nettle Baie for the first time may wonder what to do for fun. In Saint Martin, there are many different activities to do with family, alone, or with friends. Some of the popular things to do in St. Martin are kayaking, skiing, hiking, and more. What to do in Nettle Beach and nearby places are listed below.
- Caribbean Marines
- Scuba Diving at “David’s Hole”
- Visit the Wall of Art in Marigot
- Visit the historical place of Fort Amsterdam
- Discover nearby restaurants with amazing food
What are the night activities to do in Nettle Beach?
There is not much nightlife in Nettle Beach. The area where Baie Nettlé is located is known for its peaceful environment. This exclusive and relaxed area off Baie Nettlé keeps tourists who need relaxation coming back year after year.
What are the facts about Nettle Beach?
Nettle Beach is one of the calmest beaches on Saint Martin. Nettle Beach has a few interesting facts that tourists may find interesting before visiting. Some interesting facts to know about Nettle Beach are listed below.
- Nettle Beach is also known as “Nettle Bay” or “Baie Nettlé”.
- Nettle Bay’s beaches lie on a calm lagoon as well as in the Caribbean Sea. Because the lagoon water does not have a lot of waves, it’s ideal for many water sports, particularly jet skiing.
- Nettle Bay is a great place for children or those with little swimming experience because the rugged red cliffs around it provide protection from the wind and make the water very calm.
- Nettle Bay is located 1.1 miles (1.7 km) away from “David’s Hole” which is a cave that is popular among tourists who like to scuba dive and snorkel.
- Baie Nettlé is just 0.8 miles (1.4 km) away from Baie Rouge, one of the best snorkeling locations on the island of Saint Martin.
How do hurricanes affect Nettle Beach?
Nettle Beach has been especially damaged by Hurricane Irma in 2017 and is still recovering. The area still has remains of bottle glass, so it is recommended to wear beach shoes or slippers. The luxurious Mercure Hotel had to rebuild or renovate, basically all of its facilities. This is just to mention one example, but many of the properties in Nettle Beach were badly damaged, although many have already been repaired, some are still under reconstruction.
Is Nettle Beach safe?
Yes, Nettle Beach is very safe. Sint Maarten is a relatively safe island with friendly people who are willing to help even tourists. Tourists say that even at night they felt safe at Nettle Beach.