Little Bay is one of the best beaches on the entire island of Saint Martin. Little Bay is located specifically between the towns of Simpson Bay and Philipsburg. Little Bay is not just enjoyed by the guests of Divi Little Bay Beach Resort but by anyone interested in enjoying the many activities Little Bay has to offer, or who wishes just to sit back and enjoy the white sand and clear water. There are a variety of activities people can enjoy at Little Bay, including snorkeling and sailing. Many restaurants in the area offer the best Caribbean-style cuisine. The following guide is essential for anyone planning a trip to Little Bay in Sint Maarten.
Table of Contents
- Where is Little Bay?
- What are the different ways to go to Little Bay?
- What to know about Little Bay?
- What are the places to go in Little Bay?
Where is Little Bay?
Little Bay, also known as Divi Bay, is located within close proximity to the town of Great Bay, which is between Simpson Bay and Philipsburg. Little Bay is also located close to Fort Amsterdam which is a famous historical site on the island of St. Maarten located on the island’s southern coast. The coordinates of Little Bay are 18° 01′ 04.61″ N and 63° 03′ 49.78″ W.
How long is Little Bay?
Little Bay is approximately 0.28 miles (0.46 km) long.
What is the reason it’s called Little Bay?
The reason this area in St. Maarten is called Little Bay is because of its small size. A bay can measure approximately 0.46 miles (0.749 km), while Little Bay measures only 0.28 miles (0.46 km).
What are the elements of a map of Little Bay?
The elements of Little Bay are shown in the map below.
What are the different ways to go to Little Bay?
- By renting a car: Tourists can drive to Divi Little Bay Resort in a rented car and then walk two minutes to Little Bay. The cost of renting a car in St. Maarten starts as low as $28 (€25) per day.
- By hailing a cab: Tourists can hail a cab from anywhere on Sint Maarten and, after arriving, can walk for two minutes to Little Bay beach. Currently, there is no Uber service on the island. The cost of taking a cab is from $19 (€18) per ride.
- By bus: Tourists can take a bus until Great Bay and then walk 26 minutes until Little Bay Beach or ask the driver to drive to the Divi Little Bay Resort and reward the driver with a few extra dollars as a tip. The island has many bus stops that tourists can take, or they can flag down a bus heading in the right direction. There is a sign in the front window of almost all buses that indicates their final destination. A bus trip usually costs from $1 to $3 per person.
- By walking: People coming from Fort Amsterdam, the Gingerbread Cafe, or Indigo Bay can walk to Little Bay in about eight to ten minutes, with Fort Amsterdam being the furthest.
Is entrance into Little Bay free?
Yes, although Little Bay is part of the Divi Little Bay Beach Resort, entrance into Little Bay is free to all who choose to visit.
What to know about Little Bay?
Little Bay is a very good place to visit because of the many different activities for tourists to engage in as well as the general safety of the area. Some things to remember when going to Little Bay are listed below.
- Little Bay is located in the area in front of the Divi Little Bay Beach Resort, so to get there you must enter through the resort.
- Little Bay is open to the public and there is no fee to access it.
- Little Bay has a lower tourist density than other beaches on the island; usually, only guests of the resort and snorkelers go there.
- Little Bay is a great spot for everybody, especially families with kids who are looking to enjoy a fun day in the sun.
- The best area to snorkel in Little Bay is along the rocky shore of the peninsula on the left side of the beach near the “Tiki Hut”.
- Little Bay Beach is a short walk from the cruise port and provides an ideal stretch of sand with plenty of activities available like snorkeling, sailing, and others.
What should you wear in Little Bay?
At Little Bay tourists are free to dress as they please, there is no dress code. It is important to note that Little Bay is not considered a “nudist beach”. The majority of people wear casual clothing. Different items of clothing that can be worn at Little Bay are listed below.
- Hawaiian shirts
- Bathing suits
- Beach dresses
What are the activities that can be done in Little Bay?
Little Bay has some really interesting things you can do in Sint Martin, such as excursions on the island, snorkeling, cruises, and others. The activities to do in Little Bay are listed below.
- Taking a day cruise
- Tours of the surrounding areas of Little Bay
- Scuba diving
Which creatures can be seen by snorkeling in Little Bay?
When snorkeling in Sint Maarten, especially in the clear waters of Little Bay, it’s possible to see many types of tropical fish and corals, as well as turtles, stingrays, a variety of rays, crabs, and other marine life.
Does the water in Little Bay have high waves?
No, the water in Little Bay has relatively calm and low waves. As a result, it is possible to snorkel at any time of the day.
Was Little Bay affected by Hurricane Irma?
Yes, Little Bay was affected by Hurricane Irma in 2017. There was also damage to the nearby reef, so while diving or snorkeling in Little Bay or even other spots on the island of St. Martin it is possible to observe the reef’s recovery (dead structures are covered by new coral growth). A few of the hurricanes that affected Sint Maarten in the past are listed below.
- Hurricane Georges, 1998: A category four hurricane that caused extensive damage.
- Hurricane Gonzalo, 2014: A category four hurricane, caused one death, 27 boats destroyed, and minor damage to infrastructure.
- Hurricane Irma, 2017: This hurricane caused extensive damage to infrastructure and nearby reefs.
- Hurricane Laura, 2020: This category 4 hurricane caused minor flooding in St. Maarten.
Is Little Bay safe?
Yes, Little Bay is a safe place for all to visit. This is because the waters are very calm and there are not very high waves or rough waters at Little Bay Beach. Little Bay is also located close to Divi Little Bay Beach Resort which has a top-notch security team that ensures the safety of those at and near the beach.
What are the places to go in Little Bay?
Some of the best places to go in Little Bay are listed below.
- Fort Amsterdam
- Tiki Pool & Bar
- Little Bay Pond
What are the best clubs in Little Bay?
Little Bay does not have any nightclubs. Throughout the island, people are able to find countless discos, nightclubs, and bars where they can dance to the rhythm of techno, rock, reggae, merengue, or soul all night long. The best clubs in St. Martin are located on the Dutch side of the island.
How is the nightlife in Little Bay?
Little Bay does not have much nightlife. Little Bay is next to the nearby towns of Simpson Bay and Philipsburg, which offer endless entertainment opportunities with numerous clubs and bars, street parties, calypso music, and lively cultural festivals. Next to Little Bay, the Paradise Plaza and Diamond Casino is perfect for all-night gambling action and dancing. Some of the late-night activities available near Little Bay are listed below.
- Visiting local casinos
- Attending festivals
- Swimming in the pool
What are the best restaurants in Little Bay?
Some of the best restaurants in Little Bay are listed below.
- Indigo Beach Bar and Restaurant
- The Fresh Shawarma Man
- Freedom Fighters Ital Shack
- Gingerbread Cafe
- Caribbean Feisty Flavors
These are also some of the better restaurants in St. Martin, known for their flavorful Caribbean food, and excellent ambiance.
What are the hotels in Little Bay?
St. Maarten is full of many beautiful and luxurious hotels. Little Bay has a few of the best hotels in St. Martin, some of them are luxury hotels. The hotels in Little Bay are listed below.
- Belair Beach
- Divi Little Bay Beach resort
1. Divi Little Bay Hotel
On Little Bay Road, just 3.72 miles (6 km) from Princess Juliana International Airport is the three-star all-inclusive resort called Divi Little Bay Beach Resort. Divi Little Bay Beach Resort has beautiful views of the hills and the Caribbean Sea and also has lush green gardens on site, all of these natural elements make for a blissfully peaceful environment that anyone looking for a relaxing getaway will no doubt enjoy. Divi Little Bay Beach Resort has about 220 suites for every need, these include family rooms, smoking rooms, ocean view rooms, and more. The price of the rooms at Divi Little Bay Beach Resort is $774 to $1,685 (€681 to €1,484) per night. Some of the services that Divi Little Bay Beach Resort offers are listed below.
- On-site ATM
- Spa center
- Children’s activities
- Swimming pool
- Conference facilities
- Business center with internet access
Guests who’ve had the pleasure of staying at Divi Little Bay Beach Resort have considered the resort to be a very clean, friendly, and professional hotel with a friendly staff. Guests of Divi Little Bay Beach Resort are also amazed at the beautiful views of the sea and hills of St. Maarten from their rooms.
2. Belair Beach Resort
Belair Beach Resort is a three-star resort that is located a short distance from the boardwalk (1.2 miles/1.9 km) and Wathey Square (1.2 miles/1.9 km). The Belair Beach Resort includes a poolside bar, a terrace, a white sand beach with free beach cabanas, and sun loungers, all of which help to make this the perfect place to enjoy the sun. Guests can also enjoy the onsite spa, “Indulgence by the Sea”, by having a deep-tissue massage, aromatherapy treatment, or manicure and pedicure.
Belair Beach resort has about 71 suites with a balcony facing the ocean and is the only all-suite oceanfront resort on St. Maarten. The price in Belair Beach resort is $266 to $501 (€234 to €441) per night. Some of the services that Belair Beach resort offers are listed below.
- Free parking
- Car hire
- Poolside bar
- Pool/beach towels
- Sun loungers/beach chairs
- Sun umbrellas
Many guests have been returning to Belair Beach for the past 25 years because of its incredible views, great beach, casual atmosphere, and rooms with all the amenities. Guests can enjoy a meal at one of the hotel’s three restaurants, which feature Italian cuisine and happy hour. All staff members from Belair Beach, from the gate security officer to the beach towel attendant, were praised by guests for being extremely helpful and friendly.
What are the best pictures from Little Bay?
The 6 best pictures from Little Bay are listed, explained and shown below.
- Fort Amsterdam
- Little Bay beach
- Divi Little Bay resort
- Scuba Diving
- Cruise ship
Canon in Fort Amsterdam in Little Bay, Sint Maarten.
Aerial view of Little Bay in Sint Maarten.
Divi Little Bay Hotel, Sint Maarten.
Snorkeling in the waters of Little Bay in Sint Maarten.
Scuba diving in the waters of Little Bay in Sint Maarten.
Cruise ships in Little Bay, Sint Maarten.