Baie Rouge is well-known as one of the most luxurious beaches on the entire island of Saint Martin. Baie Rouge is part of a collective of beaches located on the northwestern coast of the French side of Saint Martin. Baie Rouge is located between the towns of Terres Basses and Baie Nettlé, these areas are known for their naturally gorgeous, opulent, and peaceful atmosphere which attracts tourists all over the world and even celebrities seeking solace from the stresses of everyday life.
Baie Rouge is a unique and popular beach on the island of Saint Martin that is especially known for its pretty pink sand. Baie Rouge is also commonly called “Red Bay”, this beach was named after the reddish-pink color of the sand which gets its color from the crushed coral pieces that wash up onto the shore. Not only is Baie Rouge known for its pretty pink sand but also its vibrant coral reef and its calm crystal waters that are protected from the wind coming from the east of the bay. These conditions make Baie Rouge the ideal location for snorkeling and exploring the colorful underwater life.
Baie Rouge is also one of the most secluded beaches in Saint Martin. Baie Rouge along with its sister beaches “Baie Lounge” and “Baie aux Prunes” are known on the island of Saint Martin for being one of the prime locations for beachgoers who prefer a clothing-optional beach experience including swimming and sunbathing in the nude.
Baie Rouge provides the perfect scenery for tourists who are looking for a peaceful getaway. Baie Rouge is a glamorous neighborhood in Saint Martin that is known for its large luxurious homes, villas, and hotels. It is even an area where celebrities such as Jackie Kennedy Onassis, Robert DeNiro, Oprah Winfrey, Salma Hayek, and more come to enjoy a tranquil and luxurious holiday. Baie Rouge is a unique beach in Saint Martin that will definitely have all of its visitors dreaming about that lovely pink sand long after their vacation.
Table of Contents
- What is the alternative name of Baie Rouge?
- Where is ?
- How long is Baie Rouge Beach?
- What are the ways to go to Baie Rouge?
- What to know about Baie Rouge?
- What are the activities that can be done in Baie Rouge?
- What are the best places to go near Baie Rouge?
What is the alternative name of Baie Rouge?
Baie Rouge is alternatively called “Red Bay”, this is because of the reddish-pink color of the sand on the beach. The gorgeous pink sand gets its color from the crushed coral pierces that wash up onto the shore. The beautiful pink shade of the sand makes the trip to Baie Rouge a truly unique experience.
Where is ?
Baie Rouge is located on the western coast of the French side of St. Martin. Baie Rouge is located 3.6 miles (5.9 km) away from Princess Juliana International Airport which is the main airport on the island of St. Martin. Baie Rouge is located 9.1 miles (14.8 km) away from the Grand Case L’Espérance Airport. The coordinates for Baie Rouge are 50.8287° N, 58.9598° W.
How long is Baie Rouge Beach?
Baie Rouge spans about 2 miles (3.2 km) long.
What does a map of Baie Rouge show?
The map above shows the location of Baie Rouge on the northwestern coast of Saint Martin between the towns of Terres Basses and Baie Nettlé. The map also shows that Baie Rouge is located on the northern French side of the island of Saint Martin.
What does a video of Baie Rouge Beach show?
Below you’ll find a YouTube video that shows an overview of Baie Rouge Beach, St. Martin.
What are the ways to go to Baie Rouge?
Several different forms of transport make it possible to travel to Baie Rouge whether you are coming to St. Maarten via cruise ship or staying at one of the hotels on the island for an extended time. Some of these different methods of transportation are via rental car, public transport, and taxi. The different methods that can be used to get to Baie Rouge are listed and explained below.
- Renting a car: Most travelers choose to rent a car during their stay in Saint Martin. This is a good option if you are planning to stay in St. Maarten for an extended time and would like to explore more parts of the island independently, including Baie Rouge. Baie Rouge Beach is accessible by car by way of Rue de Terres Basses from nearby Marigot. Renting a car would not be very practical if you are traveling to St. Maarten via cruise ship. Several car rental companies are available for tourists at both Princess Juliana International Airport in Dutch Sint Maarten and at Grand Case Airport in French Saint Martin. These rental car companies usually charge around $30 (€25) per day. The ride to Baie Rouge should take about 40 minutes at most from any point on the island of St. Martin. There is free parking available at the entrance of Baie Rouge Beach.
- Public transportation: The main method of public transportation in Saint Martin is the bus, it is also the cheapest form of transportation on the island with the cost of a one-way ticket ranging from $1 to $3 (€0.86 to €2.50) per person. This is a method of transportation that many tourists rely on during their stay in St. Maarten. The buses in Saint Martin have frequent routes that stop at major cities on the island that are near Baie Rouge such as the town of Marigot. Each bus has an identifying marker that states the driver’s route which is usually a sign in the front window that indicates the starting and ending point of the route. Tourists disembarking their cruise ship at the port in Philipsburg can walk for approximately 10 minutes to the center of Phillipsburg to catch a bus to the town of Marigot, from here they can take a taxi that will take them to the nearby Baie Rouge, this trip will take about 35 minutes. These buses pass by every 15 minutes or so. The same route should be followed on your way back to the cruise ship port from Baie Rouge. Make sure to leave plenty of time for travel to board the cruise ship before its departure if you are traveling to St. Maarten via cruise ship.
- Taxi: Taxis are readily available throughout Saint Martin and are a form of transportation that a lot of tourists rely on when they visit St. Maarten. Usually, these taxis are vans that can carry up to 10 people. Taxis are especially available at the arrival section of the cruise ship port in Philipsburg, at major hotels on the island as well as at Princess Juliana International airport. Drivers usually only accept cash in both Euros and U.S Dollars. The prices of each taxi ride can range from $4 to $45 (€3.5 to €40) depending on the distance and timing of your trip to Baie Rouge. It is important to agree on a rate with the driver before entering the taxi. There are no Lyft or Uber services available on the island of Saint Martin.
What to know about Baie Rouge?
Baie Rouge is one of the most luxurious and secluded beaches of Saint Martin. There are a lot of interesting facts about Baie Rouge that tourists will want to know before visiting. Some of the important things to know about Baie Rouge are listed below.
- Baie Rouge, also known as “Red Bay”, gets its name from the reddish-pink color of the sand at the beach. The sand gets this pink color from the crushed coral pieces that wash up onto the shore. This is one of the most popular features of Baie Rouge and many tourists come to see the gorgeous pink sand against the glistening blue water.
- The eastern side of Baie Rouge Beach, closer to the entrance, is much more populated than the western side. The western side of Baie Rouge is much more secluded and serene which leads this side to be frequented by nude sunbathers.
- Baie Rouge is protected from the wind by surrounding rugged red cliffs. This causes the water at Baie Rouge to be very calm, it is perfect for children or for those who have minimal experience swimming.
- Baie Rouge is one of the top snorkeling locations on the island of Saint Martin. Baie Rouge has a vibrant coral reef that is teeming with undersea life just waiting to be explored. Baie Rouge is located near “David’s Hole” which is a cave that is popular among tourists who like to scuba dive and snorkel.
- There is free parking at the entrance of the beach. Visitors can rent 2 beach chairs and an umbrella for $25 (€22).
Is Baie Rouge free to enter?
Yes, entry onto Baie Rouge Beach is free. Parking at the entrance of the beach is also free, however, there may be other costs incurred during your day at the beach such as renting beach chairs and umbrellas. Two beach chairs and an umbrella can be rented at Baie Rouge for $25 (€22).
Is Baie Rouge safe?
Yes, Baie Rouge is a safe place to visit in St. Martin. The reason why Baie Rouge can be considered safe is that it is located near Baie Nettlé and Terres Basses which are some of the wealthiest neighborhoods on the island of St. Maarten. Baie Rouge is surrounded by multi-million-dollar homes and luxurious villas, so the area is heavily guarded by security that patrol the beach as well as the surrounding area.
The crime rate on the island of Saint Martin in general is very low. There is petty theft that occurs on the island of St. Maarten, but these cases have not been recently reported in Baie Rouge. These factors make Baie Rouge a safe place for all, travelers should keep certain precautions in mind when traveling such as being aware of their surroundings, traveling in groups, and traveling around the island with a minimum amount of jewelry, cash, and other valuables.
Is Baie Rouge a nude beach?
Yes, Baie Rouge Beach is a popular spot on the island of St. Martin for those who prefer a nude beach experience. Baie Rouge is not officially a nude beach in St. Maarten, however, the western side of Baie Rouge Beach is more secluded, so it is quite common to see nude or topless beachgoers on this side of the beach. Many who visit Baie Rouge Beach even enjoy walking the length of the entire beach in the nude. For this reason, Baie Rouge might not be the most suitable beach for families with young children.
Do hurricanes affect Baie Rouge?
Yes, Baie Rouge Beach has been affected by several hurricanes in recent years. Two of the most recent hurricanes that have struck the island of St. Martin and that have also affected Baie Rouge have been Hurricane Irma and Hurricane Maria, which both occurred in September of 2017. The entire island was impacted greatly by the strong winds and rain that Hurricanes Irma and Maria brought to the island, many buildings and establishments were either damaged or completely destroyed.
Hurricane Irma caused a lot of damage to the establishments on Baie Rouge Beach such as the two restaurants that were on the beach. Due to the damage from Hurricanes Irma and Maria, these restaurants are no longer on Baie Rouge Beach. Baie Rouge was one of the only beaches in Terres Basses where there were amenities, but now guests must bring their own beach chairs, umbrellas, food, drink, and other beach day necessities.
How are the houses and villas in Baie Rouge?
The houses and villas surrounding Baie Rouge are known to be luxurious and quite large. The reason for this is because Baie Rouge is located near Terres Basses and Baie Nettlé which are some of the wealthiest neighborhoods on the entire island of St. Maarten. Many of the houses surrounding Baie Rouge are multi-million-dollar homes surrounded by gorgeous and lush green hills. Baie Rouge and the surrounding areas are home to the rich and even the famous. The villas and hotels near Baie Rouge have been known to attract celebrities such as Oprah Winfrey, Salma Hayek, Robert DeNiro, as well as others who are seeking a luxurious getaway.
Is Baie Rouge a celebrity destination?
Yes, Baie Rouge and the surrounding area of Terres Basses is the top celebrity destination on the island of Saint Martin. Terres Basses is a glamorous yet secluded neighborhood in St. Martin that has many multi-million-dollar homes and villas surrounded by lush green hills. Many celebrities such as Oprah Winfrey, Robert DeNiro, Jackie Kenndy Onassis, Salma Hayek, and more have enjoyed Baie Rouge and the surrounding areas of Terres Basses and Baie Nettlé.
Many celebrities decide to take their holiday in Baie Rouge because it is one of the most secluded beaches in St. Maarten. Baie Rouge is a place where celebrities can enjoy the beautiful and peaceful surroundings of the beach and get away from the crowds and stresses of everyday life. Baie Rouge is also known for being heavily guarded by security which gives these celebrities extra peace of mind.
Is Baie Rouge beach secluded?
Yes, Baie Rouge Beach is one of the most secluded beaches in St. Martin. Baie Rouge is part of a collective of beaches including “Baie aux Prunes” and “Baie Longue” which are located in Terres Basses, these beaches are known for their seclusion and privacy. The peaceful seclusion of Baie Rouge makes many comfortable enough to sunbathe and walk along the length of the beach either topless or completely in the nude. Celebrities are also known to frequent Baie Rouge because of the privacy of the beach.
Baie Rouge has no amenities, so it’s important for those who visit to bring their own beach day necessities such as beach towels, food, drink, beach chairs, umbrellas, and the like. Known for its’ quiet and peaceful atmosphere Baie Rouge is one of Saint Martin’s best kept secrets.
Is the sand at Baie Rouge Beach white?
No, the sands at Baie Rouge are the color pink. The sand gets its gorgeous pink-reddish hue from the crushed pieces of coral that wash up onto the shore. The pretty pink sand of Baie Rouge is where the beach gets its name, as it is alternatively called “Red Bay” after the reddish pink color of the sand.
Baie Rouge is one of the most unique beaches on the island of St. Maarten because of its beautifully colored pink sand. Many tourists travel from all over the world to enjoy the powdery pink sand against the crystal blue water.
What are the activities that can be done in Baie Rouge?
Many people enjoy Baie Rouge for its seclusion and naturally beautiful surroundings. There are many activities that tourists can engage in at Baie Rouge Beach as well as in the surrounding areas such as Terres Basses, Baie Nettlé, and Marigot. Some of the activities that can be done near Baie Rouge are considered the best things to do in St. Martin. The activities that can be done on Baie Rouge Beach as well as the surrounding areas are listed below.
- Lounging on the beach
- Picnic on the beach
- Visit the Wall of Art in Marigot
- Experience the delicious food at the nearby restaurants
- Catamaran Tours
- Scuba Diving at “David’s Hole”
What are the best places to go near Baie Rouge?
There are many spectacular places to visit near Baie Rouge. Some of the best places to visit near Baie Rouge are listed below.
- Baie Lounge: Baie Lounge is a nearby beach located in Terres Basses that is known for its seclusion and is another popular beach near Baie Rouge that many tourists like to frequent.
- Baie Aux Prunes: Baie Aux Prunes is a beach that is part of the collective of beaches in Terres Basses. It is a secluded beach that many tourists enjoy visiting to soak in the rays of the sun and relax.
- Belmond La Samanna: The Belmond La Samanna is one of the most famous hotels on the entire island of St. Maarten. Many celebrities are known to frequent this location as it is one of the most luxurious hotels on the entire island of St. Maarten.
- Hommage Hotel & Residences: This is one of the most popular hotels on the island of St. Maarten and certainly in the Terres Basses/ Baie Nettlé area. Hommage Hotel & Residences is located only 0.87 miles (1.4 km) from Baie Rouge Beach.
- La Cigale: One of the top restaurants in St. Maarten that specializes in French cuisine. Some of the most popular dishes at La Cigale include foie gras, lobster bisque soup, duck confit, and more. La Cigale is located 1.1 miles (1.9 km) away from Baie Rouge Beach.
- Mezza Luna: A very popular restaurant that specializes in Italian cuisine. Many people love the ambiance of the restaurant and love it for the incredibly delicious homestyle Italian food. Mezza Luna is located only 1.7 miles (2.8 km) away from Baie Rouge Beach.
- The Wall of Art: The Wall of Art is a famous tourist attraction that features the work of many local artists in St. Maarten. Many people like to visit and marvel at the amazing artwork. The Wall of Art is located approximately 1 mile (1.6 km) away from Baie Rouge Beach.
What are the best hotels to stay at near Baie Rouge?
Baie Rouge is located near many luxurious hotels, resorts, and villas. The French side of St. Maarten especially the towns near Baie Rouge such as Terres Basses and Baie Nettlé are known for extravagant hotels with many amenities, fabulous service from the hotel staff, and breathtakingly beautiful surroundings. Some of the top rated hotels on the entire island of St. Martin are located near Baie Rouge. The best hotels to stay near Baie Rouge are located below.
- Hommage Hotel & Residences
- Belmond La Samanna
- Coco Beach
- Bahia Blue Villa
- Friendly Beach House
- La Lagune
- Azure Reve
- Maison De Reve
Baie Rouge has a vast array of nearby hotels, villas, and rental homes. Many of the accommodations near Baie Rouge have amenities such as infinity pools, poolside bars, free wifi, kitchenettes, car rental services, and more. The accommodations listed above can provide for the needs of all kinds of travelers.
What are the best restaurants near Baie Rouge?
Baie Rouge is located on the French side of Saint Martin, an area known for its culinary prowess in the entire Caribbean. The restaurants located near Baie Rouge are some of the best restaurants on the entire island of St. Martin. The best restaurants located near Baie Rouge are listed below.
- La Cigale
- Ma Ti Beach
- Mezza Luna
What are the best clubs near Baie Rouge?
Baie Rouge and its surrounding towns do not have any nightclubs. Baie Rouge and the surrounding towns of Baie Nettlé and Terres Basses are known for their peaceful atmosphere, this is a common feature of many of the towns and beaches on the French side of St. Martin. Many come to Baie Rouge to relax, get away from the crowds and enjoy the beautiful natural scenery that the beach has to offer. The best nightclubs in St. Martin are located on the Dutch side of the island.
How is the nightlife in Baie Rouge?
There is not much nightlife in Baie Rouge. Baie Rouge is a beach that is located near Baie Nettlé and Terres Basses which are towns on the French side of St. Martin. These areas are known for their tranquil nature and do not attract crowds such as the ones that can be found in the towns on the Dutch side of the island. The secluded and tranquil nature of Baie Rouge keeps tourists who enjoy a peaceful and relaxing time on the beach coming back year after year.