Plum Bay (Baie Aux Prunes) is a beautiful golden sandy beach that is tucked away in the upscale residential area of Terres Basses on the island of Saint Martin. The secluded Plum Bay offers incredible views of the turquoise blue Caribbean waters as well as the luxurious modern villas that surround it.
Plum Bay offers a private and intimate atmosphere for those looking to spend a relaxing time at the beach. Couples can enjoy a romantic stroll on the beach, families with children can have a cozy beachside picnic, and other visitors can opt to lounge on the beach and enjoy a good book or simply sunbathe when they visit Plum Bay. There are often high waves at Plum Bay that are ideal for activities such as surfing. On days when the waters are calmer, swimmers can enjoy some fun snorkeling activities at Plum Bay.
Table of Contents
- Where is the location of Plum Bay (Terres Basses)?
- What are the ways to get to Plum Bay?
- What should you wear at Plum Bay?
- What activities can be done in Plum Bay?
- What are the facts about Plum Bay?
Where is the location of Plum Bay (Terres Basses)?
Plum Bay is located on the French side of Saint Martin in the residential gated community called Terres Basses. Terres Basses is part of the lowlands in St. Martin. The coordinates for Plum Bay are 18.0695° N, 63.1468° W.
What does a video of Plum Bay Beach show?
Below you’ll find a YouTube video that shows an overview of Plum Bay Beach, St. Martin.
Which country governs Plum Bay?
The country that governs Plum Bay is France. Plum Bay is part of the French Lowlands, and it is situated on the northern side of the border division in St. Maarten. The entire northern side of the border division in St. Martin falls under the French government.
What are the ways to get to Plum Bay?
There are a few ways to get to Plum Bay. Some of the ways to reach Plum Bay are listed below.
- By Car: Plum Bay is situated in a gated community that is accessible by car. Visitors can make use of car rentals in St. Martin to reach Plum Bay and use the provided free parking area right by the beach. Plum Bay is less than a 40-minute drive from the Dutch capital Philipsburg and at least a 20-minute drive from the French capital Marigot. The average cost of car rentals in Saint Martin is between at least $28 (€25) to $63 (€56) per day depending on the size of the vehicle.
- By Taxi: There are taxi services offered on both the French and Dutch sides of St. Maarten. Some of the resorts in St. Martin offer taxi services and guests can make use of a taxi to get to Plum Bay in Terres Basses. The cost of taxi services in Saint Martin is dependent on the duration and the distance traveled. The average cost of a taxi in St. Martin is between at least $4 to $45 (€3.5 to €40).
- By walking: Plum Bay is within walking distance of some of the villa rentals that are situated in Terres Basses. Visitors staying in these villas can easily walk to Plum Bay. There is a short walking distance from the parking lot near Plum Bay to the beach. This walking path is the main entry point to Plum Bay and is at least 200 ft (60 m) long.
When is the best time to go to Plum Bay?
The best time to go to Plum Bay is in the month of March when weather conditions are favorable for sunbathing as well as water activities such as surfing and snorkeling.
Is Plum Bay crowded?
Plum Bay is not crowded. Plum Bay is not as easily accessible as most of the beaches in Saint Martin. Plum Bay is situated in the secure gated community of Terres Basses with few entry points. There are also no facilities or amenities at Plum Bay. Visitors have to bring their own umbrellas, lounging chairs, and food which could be inconvenient for those who do not have a vehicle.
Most people would rather visit a beach which is easy to access using different transportation and which also offers the conveniences of a variety of facilities. Since Plum Bay does not attract a lot of crowds, this beach is an ideal destination for visitors seeking a private and serene beach experience
What are the best clubs near Plum Bay (Terres Basses)?
There are no clubs near Terres Basses which is the area where Plum Bay is situated. The area of Terres Basses is a peaceful residential area that often attracts visitors who are looking to enjoy some peace and quiet at the beach. Some of the best nightclubs in St. Martin can be found to the south of the border division in the Dutch territory of the island.
What are the best restaurants near Plum Bay?
There are some incredible restaurants on the French side of St. Martin near the Terres Basses district where Plum Bay is situated. The Nettle Bay district which is located on the eastern side of Terres Basses is home to some of the best eateries in St. Martin. Some of the restaurants near Plum Bay on the French side are listed below.
- Ma Ti Beach (French restaurant)
- L’Pied dans L’Sable (French restaurant)
- Mezza Luna restaurant (Italian restaurant)
- La Cigale restaurant (French restaurant)
There are also some great restaurant options on the Dutch side of St. Maarten near Plum Bay. Some of the restaurants on the Dutch side of Sint Maarten near Plum Bay are listed below.
- Ready 2 Eat (Italian restaurant)
- Rendez Vous Lounge restaurant (French/Italian restaurant)
- Mama restaurant (Italian restaurant)
- Big cees waterfront dining (Caribbean seafood)
The restaurants near Plum Bay feature Italian, French, and local Caribbean seafood dishes. Visitors can enjoy a variety of cuisines while taking in the beautiful scenery surrounding some of these restaurants. The average cost of the restaurants near Plum Bay is between at least $5 to $50 (€4.50 to €46) per person.
What are the best resorts near Plum Bay?
The best resorts near Plum Bay can be found right in the luxurious neighborhood of Terres Basses. Some of the top-rated resorts in St. Martin can be found near Plum Bay or in neighboring areas. Some of the best resorts near Plum Bay are listed below.
- Maison De Reve Villa
- Bahia Blue Villa
- Belmond La Samanna Hotel
- Hommage Hotel & Residences
- Coco Beach Club
The resorts near Plum Bay offer guests a taste of luxury and comfort. Some of the modern and stylish villa accommodations in Terres Basses are within a short walking distance from Plum Bay and offer guests a tranquil stay with breathtaking views of the Caribbean Sea. Some of the available amenities at the villas near Plum Bay include concierge services, meal catering from local restaurants, fully furnished kitchens, free Wi-Fi, housekeeping services, heated pools, and more. The average cost of some of the villas near Plum Bay is between $4500 to $8000 (€4084 to €7261) for the minimum 7-night stay.
Some of the hotels near Plum Bay feature spacious rooms and provide services such as car rental and taxi services, which can be used to travel to Plum Bay. Some of the amenities in these accommodations include free Wi-Fi, air conditioning, a swimming pool, fully equipped kitchens, and more. The average cost of some of the hotels near Plum Bay is between at least $270 to $1400 (€245 to €1270) per night.
What are the tours for Sint Maarten Plum Bay (Terres Basses)?
There are some tours in Sint Maarten that include a trip to Plum Bay in Terres Basses. Some of the tours in St. Maarten that feature Plum Bay are jet ski tours and surfing tours.
The jet ski tours take visitors on at least an hour-long cruise along the beaches in the lowlands of St. Maarten such as Long Bay, Red Bay, and Plum Bay. The surfing tours also allow surfers an opportunity to enjoy surfing the incredible waves at Plum Bay. Both these tours are guided tours with professional guides who can speak English.
The duration of the tours to Plum Bay ranges from at least 1 hour to 2 hours long. The average cost of the tours to Plum Bay are between at least $110 to $180 (€100 to €163) per person.
What should you wear at Plum Bay?
Visitors may wonder what the ideal attire is to wear at Plum Bay. Plum Bay is one of the clothing-optional beaches in Saint Martin which means visitors can feel free to not wear anything at all on the beach. Those visiting Plum Bay who would like to wear clothing, however, can choose to wear airy summertime clothing. Some of the clothing and accessories that can be suitable to wear at a beach like Plum Bay are listed below.
- Flips flops
- Sun hat
What activities can be done in Plum Bay?
There are a few activities that can be done in Plum Bay. Visitors who are looking for activities to do in St. Martin can enjoy some of the things that Plum Bay has to offer. Some of the activities that can be enjoyed at the beach in Plum Bay are listed below.
- Sunbathing: The sunny weather that is often featured at Plum Bay is ideal for lounging on the beach and soaking up some sun.
- Walking: The intimate nature of Plum Bay makes it ideal for taking romantic strolls along the beach with a loved one or walking alone and enjoying some solitude.
- Snorkeling: When the waves are calmer, the water is ideal for some snorkeling activity that can allow swimmers to explore the underwater flora and fauna at Plum Bay.
- Surfing: Plum Bay often features large waves that offer experienced surfers an adventurous surfing experience in the Caribbean Sea.
Are there jetski tours in Plum Bay?
Yes, there are jetski tours to Plum Bay. There is a 1 hour long guided jetski tour in St. Maarten that takes visitors on a tour of the lowland beaches including Plum Bay.
The jet ski tour sets course from Simpson Bay to the lowlands in St. Martin. Visitors can cruise along the beaches in Terres Basses such as Plum Bay, Red Bay, and Long Bay, as well as the neighboring Nettle Bay before returning to the original departure point on the Dutch side of the island. The average cost for a jet ski tour to Plum Bay is at least $180 (€164) per person.
What are the night activities in Plum Bay?
There are not many activities to engage in during the night at Plum Bay. The neighborhood of Terres Basses which features Plum Bay is known to be a quiet place at night-time so that residents living in the area are not disturbed. The local people and visitors who stay near Plum Bay value the tranquil nature of the area during the day and at night. Visitors will have to travel to other areas in St. Martin, such as the French capital of Marigot or the Dutch side of the island, to enjoy some night-time activities.
What are the facts about Plum Bay?
There are some interesting facts about Plum Bay. Some of the facts about Plum Bay are listed below.
- Plum Bay is located on the French side of Saint Martin.
- Plum Bay is situated in a high-class gated residential area that features the elegant luxurious homes of millionaires and some celebrities.
- The beach at Plum Bay is quite rocky and not very swimmer friendly.
- The waves at Plum Bay are often good for surfing.
- Plum Bay is a clothing-optional beach.
- There are no facilities or amenities on the beach at Plum Bay.
- To gain access to Plum Bay, visitors must use the entry points from the residential area of Terres Basses.
- Entry to Plum Bay and parking at Plum Bay is free.
How do hurricanes affect Plum Bay?
The hurricanes in St. Martin during the hurricane season affect Plum Bay. Some of the hurricanes that had a major impact on Plum Bay were Hurricanes “Maria” and “Irma” which occurred in September 2017.
The impact of the hurricanes in 2017 left many of the homes near Plum Bay in the Terres Basses neighborhood badly damaged. Much of the debris from these homes were found on the beach and in the water at Plum Bay.
Since the last major hurricane in 2017, many of the houses near Plum Bay have been repaired or rebuilt. Many homeowners used their own money from their personal cash reserves to repair their villas and condos in Terres Basses. The debris from some of the damaged homes has also been cleared from Plum Bay. Plum Bay has been restored to its original state as a beautiful pristine golden sandy beach that is ideal for an enjoyable relaxed beach visit.
Is Plum Bay safe?
Yes, Plum Bay is safe. Visitors may wonder about the safety of St. Maarten when visiting the island during different times of the year. The upscale residential areas on the island of St. Martin are relatively safe. The district of Terres Basses which features Plum Bay is a gated community with security guards at the entrances. Visitors can feel safe walking around in this neighborhood or visiting the beach at Plum Bay.