Last updated 14 / 02 / 2023
St. Maarten/St. Martin Rental Cars
1. Europcar Car Rental
2. Avis Car Rental
3. Exclusive Car Rental
The French and Dutch owned island called St. Martin is a beautiful vacation destination that offers incredible sights and activities to explore. Traveling around St. Maarten and exploring different areas of the island can be made easy through the use of car rentals.
The popular types of cars that are available for rent in Saint Martin are compact-sized cars, economy cars, full-size cars, and SUV vehicles. The rental cars in Sint Maarten can be accessed from the Princess Juliana International Airport or Grand Case Airport to a hotel, or they can be arranged by some of the hotels on the island. In Saint Martin, the cost of renting a car can range from $25 (€22) per day to $160 (€141) per day. The use of a car rental instead of other local transportation methods allows visitors to explore both the French and Dutch sides of the island independently.
Table of Contents
- What is the advantage of renting a car in St. Maarten?
- How much does it cost to rent a car in St. Martin?
- Where are the rental car agencies located?
- What should you know about renting a car in St. Maarten?
- Europcar Car Rental
What is the advantage of renting a car in St. Maarten?
The advantage of renting a car in St. Maarten is the convenience it provides. The bus services on the island of Sint Maarten are not always regular and they can be fairly slow. The taxis in St. Maarten do not allow for much flexibility of movement because the prices to a specific destination are fixed. This means that if travelers want to travel to more than one destination on the island they will have to pay a separate fee which can be costly.
Car rental costs in Sint Maarten are charged daily for use on both the French and Dutch sides of the island. A car rental is cost and time efficient because the one-time daily rate can cover all the movements that are done in Saint Martin for the day. Travelers can map out their movements as they desire and start off on their journey to the island at any time that they choose.
How much does it cost to rent a car in St. Martin?
The average cost of renting a car in St. Martin is dependent on the type and model of the vehicle that travelers choose to drive. Some of the different types of cars available for rental in Saint Martin and their average prices are listed below.
- A standard car rental in St. Martin costs an average price of $46 (€41) per day.
- An economy car rental in St. Martin costs an average price of $28 (€25) per day.
- A full-size car rental in St. Maarten costs an average price of $57 (€50) per day.
- An intermediate car rental in Sint Maarten costs an average price of $30 (€26) per day.
- An SUV car rental in Saint Martin costs an average price of $63 (€56) per day.
The price rates for car rentals in St. Martin differ from one car rental agency to another. The prices on the Dutch side of St. Maarten can be different from the prices on the French side of the island. The other factors that can be taken into account by travelers when they are considering renting a car in Saint Martin include possible extra costs for car insurance, gas usage, vehicle variation, and the intended duration for use of the car rental.
Where are the rental car agencies located?
The rental car agencies in St. Martin are located on both the French and Dutch sides of the island. There are more car rental agencies on the Dutch side of St. Maarten in locations such as Cupecoy Bay, Dawn Beach, Oyster Pond, Cole Bay, Princess Juliana Airport, Simpson Bay, and the Dutch capital of Sint Maarten called Philipsburg.
The region of St. Maarten which is more concentrated with many car rental agencies is the Simpson Bay area. Most of the car rental agencies that are situated in the Simpson Bay area are mainly found along the airport road leading to and from Princess Juliana International Airport in Sint Maarten. These car agencies are highly competitive because their target customers are tourists arriving in St. Maarten at the airport. The competitiveness of rental agencies in Simpson Bay creates fair market prices for car rentals.
Visitors looking to rent a car in St. Maarten can compare the different prices and choose the agency that best suits their budgets. Travelers should also be careful to ensure that the car rental packages that they choose are fair and fully explained in case some of the competitive car rental companies oversell their services to win more customers.
What are the car rental agencies on the Dutch side of St. Maarten?
There are many different car rental agencies on the Dutch side of St. Maarten. Some of the car rental companies that can be found on the Dutch side of Sint Maarten are listed below.
1. Avis Car Rental
Avis car rental offers different types of cars at good rates for the duration that visitors stay in Saint Martin. The contact information for Avis car rental is (+59) 05 90 87 50 60 and (1-721) 545 28 47. Avis car rental agency is located at Princess Juliana International Airport in St. Maarten.
Avis car rental is a reliable agency that has counters inside Princess Juliana Airport to provide visitors with all the needed information about their services. This car rental company is available to assist customers every day from 9 am to 5 pm. Avis car rental agency has a 3.9 out of 5-star rating online.
Avis car rental agency offers vehicles that come with climate control, automatic and manual transmission. Some of the different models of cars that Avis car rental provides are listed below.
- A 5-seater Hyundai Sonata vehicle for families visiting Sint Maarten.
- A 4-seater Hyundai I10 grand car which is nice and compact for solo travelers in St. Maarten.
- A 4-seater Jeep Wrangler vehicle for use on the rocky terrain in some areas of Sint Maarten.
- A 5-seater Toyota Yaris car that offers just enough space for couples traveling around St. Maarten.
2. Paradise Island Car Rental
Paradise Island car rentals offers their fleet of cars for short-term and long-term rentals during visitors’ stay in Sint Maarten. Travelers can contact Paradise Island car rental by telephone using the phone number + 1 721 545 37 37, using the email address email@example.com or on their Facebook page CAR-RENTAL-FB. Paradise Island car rental is located in Simpson Bay, St. Maarten.
Paradise Island car rental agency is a reliable car rental company in St. Maarten with over 15 years of experience. Paradise Island car rental also has credibility with Princess Juliana International Airport as this car rental company is featured on the airport’s official website. Paradise Island has an online rating of 3.8 out of 5 stars.
Paradise Island car rental offers a diverse fleet of air-conditioned vehicles with both manual and automatic shifts to cater to the different needs of travelers who are visiting Sint Maarten. Some of the different models of cars that Paradise Island car rental provides are listed below.
- A 5-seater Hyundai Creta vehicle with enough space for families of 5 visiting St. Maarten.
- A 5-seater Ford Mustang car for visitors looking to drive in luxury around St. Maarten.
- A 9-seater Hyundai H1 vehicle for large groups of friends and families visiting Sint Maarten.
- A 12-seater Hyundai H1 vehicle that can allow large travel groups to venture around Sint Maarten in comfort.
3. Exclusive Car Rental
Exclusive car rental has no minimum rental period and visitors can use a car rental for the entire duration of their stay in St. Maarten. Drivers can contact this car rental company on the customer service telephone number +1 721 581 25 22 or the company’s email address firstname.lastname@example.org. Exclusive car rental is situated along Lime Road, in Sint Maarten.
Exclusive car rental is a reliable car rental company with excellent customer care including a 24/7 emergency service to assist customers during their stay in St. Maarten. Exclusive car rental has an online rating of 5 out of 5 stars.
Exclusive car rental has great package deals with a wide range of air-conditioned vehicles that operate using both manual and automatic transmission. Some of the vehicles that are offered for rental by Exclusive car rental agency are listed below.
- A 7-Seater Hyundai Santa Fe vehicle for those looking for a comfortable SUV to drive in St. Maarten.
- A 5-seater Hyundai Elantra vehicle that is suitable for individuals and couples who would like a comfortable economical vehicle to get around the different areas in Sint Maarten.
- A 5-seater Toyota RAV4 car that is spacious enough to carry 4 to 5 bags of luggage during a drive-in St. Maarten.
- A 4-seater Hyundai i10 car that is nice and small to drive along some of the narrow roads in Sint Maarten.
What are the car rental agencies on the French side of St. Martin?
The car rental agencies on the French side of St. Martin offer a variety of quality cars at affordable prices. Some of the car rental companies that can be found on the French side of Saint Martin are listed below.
1. Europcar Car Rental
Europcar car rental offers tailor-made car rental services included in a variety of car rental packages. The contact number for Europcar is +590 (0)590 77 67 67. Europcar is located along Torn Tree Road in the town called Grand Case which is situated on the French side of Saint Martin.
Europcar car rental has gained a good brand reputation for its quality services. This car rental company was voted “Customer Service of the Year” by TripAdvisor users who used their car rental services in the year 2017 on their visit to Saint Martin. Europcar rental company is open every day from 7 am to 6 pm. Europcar has an online rating of 4.8 out of 5 stars.
Europcar offers a variety of air-conditioned car rentals and has a network of 11 car rental agencies throughout Saint Martin. Some of the vehicles that are offered for rental by Europcar car rental agency are listed below.
- A 9-seater Hyundai H1 bus for large travel groups visiting St. Martin.
- A 5-seater Nissan Kicks car for a comfortable drive around the island.
- 4-seater Nissan March vehicle for individuals or couples looking to rent a small vehicle to get them around in Saint Martin.
- 5-seater Kia Sportage car for a comfortable SUV that can navigate through some of the rocky terrains in St. Martin.
2. Discount Car Rental
Discount car rental offers a good choice of modern cars at a low cost for those looking for budget-friendly car rentals in Saint Martin. The telephone number for Discount car rental services is +590 690 71 95 51. Discount car rental agency is located in a commercial center in Nettle Bay on the French side of St. Martin.
Discount car rental offers good customer service as well as modern clean cars at low prices. This car rental service prides itself on quality service standards and a loyal customer base who use their car rental services yearly when they visit Saint Martin. Discount car rental has an impressive 5 out of 5-star online rating.
Discount car rental provides different types and sizes of car rentals in St. Martin. Some of the vehicles that are offered for rental by Discount car rental agency are listed below.
- A 4-seater Kia Picanto which is a small car with a spacious interior that will allow drivers to venture through some of the narrow roads in St. Martin’s capital, Marigot.
- A 5-seater Hyundai 10 car with foldable back seats that provide extra room for those carrying a lot of baggage as they drive around Saint Martin.
- A 7-seater Ford explorer SUV vehicle for a spacious, smooth and quiet drive along some of the bumpy roads in St. Martin.
- A 7-seater KIA Carnival Sedona which is a comfortable minivan with enough cabin space for large families touring Saint Martin.
3. VIP Cars Rental Services
VIP cars rental services offer a fleet of luxurious and economic cars among their diverse range of vehicles. Drivers can contact this car rental agency on their contact phone number +590 690 66 40 00. VIP cars rental services is situated on the French side of Saint Martin in the town called Grand Case.
VIP car rental services is a reliable car rental agency who provide protection for drivers by implementing a mandatory insurance policy in their packages. VIP car rental services have an online rating of 5 out of 5 stars from drivers who used their services while visiting St. Martin.
VIP car rental services offer luxury, style, and comfort with their diverse fleet of cars. Some of the vehicles that are offered for rental by VIP cars rental agency are listed below.
- A 4-seater FIAT 500 car with a sunroof for drivers to enjoy the sunny weather in Saint Martin as they drive around the island.
- A 5-seater Mercedes GLE 350 AMG car for drivers looking to drive on the French streets of Saint Martin in luxury and style.
- A 5-seater Jeep Renegade vehicle for drivers looking for a car rental that is suitable for some of St. Martin’s rocky terrain.
- A 4-seater FIAT 595 Abarth with a convertible roof for drivers to enjoy the ocean breeze as they drive along some of the beaches in Saint Martin.
What should you know about renting a car in St. Maarten?
There is helpful information you should know about renting a car in St. Maarten. Information about car rentals should be included on the list of things to know about Sint Maarten when considering taking a trip to the island. Some of the information you should know about renting a car in Sint Maarten is listed below.
- The roads in Saint Martin can be very narrow especially in towns like Philipsburg so travelers may want to rent a compact economy car to use when touring the island.
- The road rules on the Dutch side of St. Maarten differ from the road rules on the French side. Drivers who would like to rent a car in Sint Maarten should take note of the different speed limits on both sides of the island and comply accordingly.
- Some car rental agencies in Saint Martin have different age requirements for drivers. The minimum age limit for car rentals in St. Martin varies from 18 years to 25 years of age.
- Some of the hilly areas in St. Martin have very steep inclines which are easier to drive on using larger car rentals that use a manual transmission.
- Drivers who decide to rent a car on the French side of Saint Martin should note that gas prices are charged in euros.
- Travelers who have children under the age of 5 years may want to choose a car rental agency that provides baby seats or child boosters because it is a requirement in Sint Maarten for children under 5 years old to have a suitable restraint system in the back seat of the vehicle.
- Drivers should also know if their car rental package includes car insurance or any form of legal coverage in case of any damage incurred on the vehicle while driving around St. Maarten.
- Drivers should know that they can travel freely between the French and Dutch sides of St. Martin so they can rent a car from either side of the island.
- Travelers who would like to use a car rental to drive around the island of Sint Martin should note that traffic flows on the right side of the road.
Do you need car insurance in St. Maarten?
You do not need car insurance in St. Maarten if you are renting a car. Drivers who own a car in Sint Maarten are required to have car insurance according to the Dutch government of the Netherlands. This requirement does not apply to visitors who are using car rentals in Sint Maarten.
Many of the car rental agencies in Sint Maarten provide car insurance included in their car rental packages. Some rental agencies charge an extra fee for car insurance for a daily cost ranging between at least $10 to $20 (€9 to €18), depending on the type of vehicle. The inclusion of car insurance fees when drivers are renting a car is optional.
The car insurance plans for some car rentals in Sint Maarten include “Third-Party Liability” and “Collision Damage Waiver” car insurance plans. The Third-Party Liability car insurance plan offers specific protection for the insured driver against claims made by another person whom they have injured or harmed in an accident. The Collision Damage Waiver insurance plan covers some of the payment for repairing a rental vehicle if it gets damaged in an accident.
What are the gas prices in Sint Maarten?
The gas prices in Sint Maarten are between $3.79 and $5.25 per gallon (€0.94 and €1.24 per liter). The cost of living in St. Maarten is relatively cheaper than the cost of living in places like the USA and Europe.
The cost of gas on the Dutch side of Sint Maarten can be paid in US dollars. The price of gas on the French side of Saint Martin is charged in euros. Visitors who would like to rent a car to travel around the entire island of Saint Martin should prepare to use both the US dollar and the euro as currency.
Do you need a separate license to drive on Sint Maarten?
You do not need a separate license to drive on the island of Sint Maarten if you have an International, European, US, Canadian, or French driver’s license. Many car rentals do not always insist on the driver’s license requirement of Sint Maarten. Some car rental agencies accept the use of a valid driver’s license from an individual’s country of origin. The age requirement in St. Maarten for renting out a car to drivers with a legal driver’s license ranges from at least 18 years to 25 years of age.
What is the road quality for driving in Sint Maarten?
The road quality for driving in Sint Maarten is relatively good. The roads are used frequently by the different modes of transportation in St. Martin. The roads in St. Maarten are generally paved and regularly maintained.
It is good to know that pedestrians always have the right of way when they are crossing the road in St. Maarten. The official speed limit for driving on the Dutch side of Sint Maarten is 50 km (32 miles) per hour while the speed limit for driving on the French side of Saint Martin is higher at 80 km (50 miles) per hour.
There is one main highway in Saint Martin called National Route 7 (Route Nationale 7) which leads to the primary towns on both sides of the island. The main highway in St. Martin branches out into narrow roads that often have speed bumps while other narrow roads often do no have road signs.