Great Bay Beach is located in the town of Philipsburg and is one of the longest and widest beaches on the island of St. Maarten. Great Bay Beach is located 5.3 miles (8.5 km) away from Princess Juliana International Airport and 1.7 miles (2.8 km) away from the Port of St. Maarten. Great Bay Beach is usually visited by tourists taking cruises who arrive at the Port of St. Maarten. Great Bay Beach is an amazing destination for couples and families who are looking to enjoy some fun in the sun during their time in St. Martin.
There are so many different activities at Great Bay Beach for tourists who want to enjoy the vibrant ambiance that the island of St. Martin is so famous for. Some of the activities that are available for tourists to enjoy at Great Bay Beach are jet skiing, kayaking, snorkeling, playing at the casinos, and so much more. Tourists can also indulge in the delicious local cuisine at some of the best restaurants in St. Maarten that are located near Great Bay Beach.
Great Bay Beach has a spectacular boardwalk along the beach that tourists can explore which features shops, restaurants, rum shacks, beach bars, and street carts serving ice-cold beer. The boardwalk along Great Bay Beach also offers stunning ocean views. Great Bay Beach is one of the most popular beaches on the entire island of St. Maarten and will surely offer any tourist an exciting and fun time that they won’t forget.
Table of Contents
- What is the location of Great Bay Beach?
- What are the ways to go to Great Bay Beach?
- How to walk to Great Bay Beach in St. Maarten?
- When is the best time to go to Great Bay Beach?
- What are the best clubs near Great Bay?
- What are the best restaurants near Great Bay?
- What are the best resorts near Great Bay?
- What are the tours for Sint Maarten in Great Bay?
- What should you wear in Great Bay?
- What are the popular things to do in Great Bay?
- What are the facts about Great Bay?
What is the location of Great Bay Beach?
Great Bay Beach is located in the town of Philipsburg, which is the capital of the Dutch side of Sint Maarten. Great Bay Beach stretches along the length of the main town of Philipsburg. The coordinates for Great Bay Beach are 18.0141° N and 63.0530° W.
What does a video of Great Bay Beach show?
Below you’ll find a YouTube video that shows an overview of Great Bay Beach, St. Maarten.
Which country governs Great Bay?
Great Bay is governed by the Dutch government. There is a border division in St. Maarten that separates the island between the French and Dutch governments. The border division was established back in 1648.
What are the ways to go to Great Bay Beach?
There are different ways for tourists to visit Great Bay Beach while on the island of St. Maarten. Some of these ways that tourists can use to get to Great Bay Beach are walking, hailing a cab, or renting a car. The different ways to go to Great Bay are listed and explained below.
- By walking: Great Bay Beach is located in Philipsburg, which is the capital city of Dutch St. Maarten. Great Bay Beach is within walking distance of many of the highly populated tourist attractions in Philipsburg. Tourists coming from Front Street or the boardwalk can easily walk to Great Bay Beach.
- By taxi: Taxis are readily available throughout Saint Martin and are a form of transportation that a lot of tourists rely on when they visit St. Maarten. Usually, these taxis are vans that can carry up to 10 people. Taxis are especially available at the arrival section of the cruise ship port in Philipsburg, at major hotels on the island as well as at Princess Juliana International airport. Drivers usually only accept cash in both Euros and U.S Dollars. The prices of each taxi ride can range from $4 to $45 (€3.5 to €40) depending on the distance and timing of your trip to Great Bay Beach. It is important to agree on a rate with the driver before entering the taxi. There are no Lyft or Uber services available on the island of Saint Martin.
- By car: The majority of the tourists consider renting a car to be the easiest and cheapest option for moving from one point to another while in St. Maarten / St. Martin. The price of car rentals in St. Maarten goes from $28 to $63 (€25 to €56) per day, and the price can change depending on the type or size of the vehicle.
How to walk to Great Bay Beach in St. Maarten?
Tourists at the Cruise Port of St. Maarten can walk 1.3 miles (2 km) until reaching Great Bay in approximately 25 minutes. Tourists at The Cruise Port must turn left onto Juancho Yrausquin Boulevard and then turn left onto Emma Plein and finally turn right onto Voorstraat, where one of the entrances to Great Bay Beach is.
Tourists who are starting out at Front Street can walk 0.5 miles (850 meters) straight onto Little Bay Road and Great Bay Beach will be on the left. Tourists walking from Front Street for approximately 10 minutes until reaching Great Bay Beach.
When is the best time to go to Great Bay Beach?
The best time to go to Great Bay Beach is between January and April because the weather is warm and sunny during this time. Even though the island’s weather is pleasant year-round, this is the time of year when rain showers are less likely, and hotels are also at their lowest prices.
What are the best clubs near Great Bay?
The best clubs located near Great Bay Beach are the Red Piano Lounge, Sint Rose Beach Bar, and Mykonos. Great Bay is located in Phillipsburg which is a town in St. Maarten that is known for vibrant energy and for being the party capital of the entire island. Some of the clubs near Great Bay beach are known for being some of the greatest clubs in St. Martin. The best clubs near Great Bay Beach are listed and described below.
- The Red Piano Lounge is located in Pelican Key just 4.1 miles (6.6 km) from Great Bay. The Red Piano Lounge is well known for having over 300 different types of drinks available for guests from champagne to whiskey. The Red Piano Lounge also features all types of live music during the week. The Red Piano Lounge is open from 7:00 PM to 3:00 AM daily. The cost of The Red Piano Lounge ranges from $20 to $100 (€17 to €88) per person.
- Bar Bamboo is a bar and cafe located in Simpson Bay just 3.7 miles (6 km) from Great Bay. The Bar Bamboo is a tourist favorite for those who are looking for an exciting night out on the town. Bar Bamboo features live DJs all night. The prices at Bar Bamboo range from $15 to $28 (€14 to €27). Bar Bamboo is open Tuesday to Saturday from 6:00 PM to 1:00 AM.
- Mykonos is a nightclub that is located in Maho Beach. Mykonos is located 6.8 miles (10.9 km) from Great Bay Beach. Mykonos is the largest outdoor nightclub in St. Maarten/St. Martin. Mykonos features a stunning ocean view and different DJs are presented every weekend. Mykonos is open from Friday to Sunday from 10:00 PM to 3:00 AM. The drinks at Mykonos range from $15 to $25 (€13 to €22) each.
What are the best restaurants near Great Bay?
Great Bay has so many different dining options for visitors and locals to enjoy. Some of the finest restaurants in St. Martin are located in Great Bay such as Freedom Fighter’s Ital Shack, Caribbean Blend, and The Island Flavor Bar and Restaurant. The best restaurants near Great Bay Beach are listed and described below.
- Freedom Fighter’s Ital Shack is located 0.7 miles (1.1 km) away from Great Bay Beach. Freedom Fighter’s Ital Shack features local cuisine, and fresh juices made with local products daily. The menu options at Freedom Fighter’s Ital Shack are also vegan and gluten-free. The prices at Freedom Fighter’s Ital Shack range from $12 to $15 (€11.51 to €14.39) per meal. Freedom Fighter’s Ital Shack is open from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM from Monday to Saturday.
- Caribbean Blend is located in Great Bay just 1.5 miles (2.5 km) away from the Cruise Port of St. Maarten. Caribbean Blend is a restaurant with options from all over the Caribbean such as Dominican, Puerto Rican, and Jamaican cuisine. The most popular options that visitors like to eat the most when visiting Caribbean Blend are barbeque and seafood. Caribbean Blend also offers vegetarian and vegan options on its menu. The prices at the Caribbean Blend range from $2 to $25 (€1.92 to €23) per meal. At Caribbean Blend, only cash is accepted.
- The Island Flavor Bar and Restaurant is located in Great Bay. The Island Flavor Bar and Restaurant feature Jamaican and Caribbean cuisine and it is described by guests as colorful, flavorful, and delicious. The menu includes fried dumplings, cod, and Jamaican pastries. The Island Flavor Bar and Restaurant is open Sunday to Thursday from 7:30 AM to 6:30 PM, and Fridays full day. The price at Island Flavor Bar and Restaurant range from $4 to $22 (€3.92 to €21.52) per meal.
What are the best resorts near Great Bay?
Great Bay has some of the best rated resorts in St. Martin. Some of the best resorts near Great Bay are Divi Little Bay Beach Resort, Azure Hotel & Art Studio, and Princess Heights Hotel. Some of the best resorts near Great Bay are listed and described below.
- Divi Little Bay Beach Resort is an all-inclusive resort located in Philipsburg just 0.6 miles (950 m) away from Great Bay Beach. Divi Little Bay Beach Resort is located next to Front Street, museums, and amazing restaurants. There are many great amenities at Divi Little Bay Beach Resort, including a spa, a salon, a fitness center, babysitting services, and 24-hour front desk service. The average price at Divi Little Bay Beach Resort ranges from $179 to $262 (€165 to €241) per night.
- The Azure Hotel & Art Studio is located on the Simpson Bay Lagoon just 4.4 miles (7.1 km) away from Great Bay Beach. The Azure Hotel & Art Studio features a private beach, snorkeling and diving equipment for rent, a free wireless internet connection, kitchenettes, air conditioning, and free high-speed wireless internet. The prices at The Azure Hotel & Art Studio go from $117 to $172 (€111 to €163) per night.
- The Princess Heights Hotel is located in Oyster Pond just 3.8 miles (6.2 km) away from Great Bay Beach. There are many amenities at an affordable rate at Princess Heights Luxury Boutique Hotel, making it a great choice for families traveling to St. Maarten. Princess Heights Luxury Boutique Hotel features an outdoor pool and BBQ area that is perfect for family gatherings. The average price per night at the Princess Heights Luxury Boutique Hotel is $125 to $236 (€115 to €217) per night.
- Oyster Bay Beach Resort is located 4.5 miles (7.3 km) away from Great Bay. Oyster Bay Beach Resort provides a fun and relaxing escape for families. The amenities that Oyster Bay Beach Resort include free breakfast buffets, access to a spa, access to the beach, childcare services, and more. Oyster Bay Beach Resort has friendly and helpful staff. The prices at Oyster Bay Beach Resort go from $137 to $329 (€181 to €443) per night.
Are there any casinos near Great Bay?
Yes, there are casinos near Great Bay. Some of the casinos near Great Bay Beach are Casino Rouge et Noir, Coliseum Princess Casino, and Jump Up Casino. These casinos in Great Bay offer table games such as craps, blackjack, poker, roulette, and more. The casinos in Great Bay also offer different slot machines, live entertainment, and a full bar.
The Coliseum Princess Casino also features a full buffet with different types of cuisine such as Asian, Mexican, Italian, and the Caribbean. Casino Rouge et Noir also offers free snacks while playing. The expenses at the Great Bay casinos include games, drinks, and food. The expenses at the casinos in Great Bay range from $58 to $486 (€56 to €477) per night.
Also have a look at this article if you are looking for a list with the best casinos in Saint Martin!
What are the tours for Sint Maarten in Great Bay?
The tours for Sint Maarten in Great Bay include “The Best of St. Maarten Private Sightseeing Tour”, “3-Hour Guided Jeep Tour Island Highlights, and 1-Hour Relax by Beach”, and “Private St. Maarten Island Sightseeing Tour”. The most popular tours for Sint Maarten in Great Bay are listed and described below.
- The Best of St. Maarten Private Sightseeing Tour is a historic sightseeing tour that allows tourists to explore secluded beaches, enjoy duty-free shopping, and take in stunning views of the island. Tourists can avoid overcrowded tours when using Private St. Maarten Island Sightseeing Tour. The Best of St. Maarten Private Sightseeing Tour is 5 hours long. The price for the Best of St. Maarten Private Sightseeing Tour is $450 (€441) per person in a group of a minimum of 10 people.
- The 3-Hour Guided Jeep Tour Island Highlights and 1-Hour Relax by Beach is a 4-hour tour that allows tourists to explore the most popular beaches and highlights while riding in a Jeep Wrangler. There are several awesome shopping areas on the tour, including Front Street, Back Street, and Old Street. The price for the 3-Hour Guided Jeep Tour Island Highlights and 1-Hour Relax by Beach goes from $76.93 (€75.45) per person.
- The Private St. Maarten Island Sightseeing Tour is a 5-hour long tour that allows tourists to enjoy panoramic views of the St. Maarten/St. Martin coastline and watch planes fly overhead at Maho Beach. The Private St. Maarten Island Sightseeing Tour has the flexibility to customize the itinerary to suit the guests’ interests. Some of the places that tourists visit on The Private St. Maarten Island Sightseeing Tour are Great Bay, Oyster Pond, Cole Bay Hill, Orient Beach, and the market in Marigot. The price for the Private St. Maarten Island Sightseeing Tour is $450 (€441) per group.
What should you wear in Great Bay?
When visiting Great Bay, visitors can use light and airy clothing such as shirts, sun hats, sunglasses, shorts, and others, because of the warm weather. The weather temperature throughout the year ranges from 77.9°F to 83.5°F (25.5°C to 28.6°C). Some of the things tourists should wear in Great Bay are listed below.
- Light T-Shirts and blouses
- Sun hat
- Sandals or flip flops
- Water shoes
What are the popular things to do in Great Bay?
Great Bay is the beach along the town of Philipsburg, which is the capital of the Dutch side of St. Maarten and one of the places with many activities to do in Sint Maarten. Great Bay Beach is known for being one of the most vibrant and highly populated areas in St. Maarten. Some of the things to do at Great Bay Beach include activities such as watersports, sunbathing, enjoying the duty-free shop on Front Street next to Great Bay, dining at some of the gourmet restaurants nearby, and more. The popular things to do in Great Bay are listed below.
- Taking the Rhino Safari
- Swimming in the ocean
- Playing at the nearby casinos
- Sunbathing on the beach
- Shopping on Front Street
- Walking along the Boardwalk
- Taking a Banana boat ride
What are the best attractions in Great Bay?
There are so many interesting attractions to visit while staying on Great Bay or Philipsburg such as visiting the Sint Maarten Museum, the Yoda Guy Movie Exhibit, or the famous Front Street. The best attractions in Great Bay are listed below.
- Front Street
- Sint Maarten Museum
- Yoda Guy Movie Exhibit
What are the facts about Great Bay?
There are some interesting facts about Great Bay. The facts about Great Bay are listed below.
- Great Bay is one of the most popular beaches in Philipsburg.
- Great Bay has a beautiful boardwalk where is possible to watch the sunset.
- Tourists on Great Bay can rent umbrellas and chairs for a small fee.
- Great Bay is 1.39 miles (2.25 km) in length which makes it one of the longest and widest beaches in St. Maarten.
- The Great Bay is next to Front Street, where many of the duty-free shops on the island of St. Maarten are located.
Do Hurricanes affect Great Bay?
Yes, Hurricane Irma affected Great Bay severely on September 6th, 2017. Hurricane Irma was a Category 5 hurricane that affected not just Great Bay and all of St. Maarten but a few other Caribbean islands as well. All businesses in Great Bay were heavily damaged by Hurricane Irma’s catastrophic winds.
Great Bay Beach and many of the hotels, and restaurants in the area were badly damaged by Hurricane Irma. The majority of the restaurants and hotels in the area of Great Bay have since made a full recovery from the Hurricane and are operating today.
Is Great Bay safe?
Yes, Great Bay is a safe place. St. Maarten is a safe place to visit on vacations in general when compared to many other islands in the Caribbean. There have not been many reports of crime at Great Bay. Tourists visiting Great Bay can take the same safety precautions as when visiting St. Martin/ St. Maarten or when traveling anywhere else. The safety precautions that tourists should follow are avoiding walking alone at night, keeping important documentation in the hotel room, and carrying a minimum amount of cash, or jewelry on them while exploring the island.