Long Bay Beach is a white sandy beach that is located on the southwestern coast of St. Martin in the Terres Basses area. Long Bay Beach which is also known on the French side of the island as “Baie Longue” is located 2.9 miles (4.7 km) away from Princess Juliana International Airport and just 0.4 miles (0.644 km) from La Samanna which is the most exclusive and beautiful 5-star resort in Saint Martin.
Many rich and famous people from all over the world have homes in the wealthy and glamorous neighborhood of Terres Basses. Long Bay Beach is a private and secluded beach that is located next to Grand Étang lake. Long Bay Beach is famously known as the longest beach on the island of St. Martin. Many who enjoy surfing love going to Long Bay Beach because of the incredible waves they can catch there. Although there is not much of a coral reef at Baie Longue, tourists can still enjoy snorkeling in the crystal-clear waters and seeing undersea life.
Long bay beach is a stunning beach with crystalline water, and soft and fluffy white sand, it is also one of the most private beaches in St. Martin which makes it very suitable for those who want a more secluded beach experience. Since the beach is so secluded there are not any vendors or facilities at the beach. It is best for visitors to bring their own chairs, umbrellas, beach towels, and all of their beach day necessities.
Due to its position on the western coast of the island, Long Bay is also known as one of the most amazing places to watch the sunset in Saint Martin. Those visiting will surely enjoy their experience at Long Bay Beach.
Table of Contents
- Where is Baie Longue located?
- What are the ways to go to Baie Longue?
- What should you wear in Long Bay?
- What are the popular things to do in Baie Longue?
- What are the facts about Long Bay?
Where is Baie Longue located?
Baie Longue is located in the southwestern part of the island of St. Martin. Long Bay is located near Grand Étang lake as well as Belmond La Samanna, which is a famous luxury hotel on the island. The coordinates for Long Bay are 18.1833° N and 63.1167° W.
What does a map of Long Bay cover?
Below you’ll find a map of Long Bay Beach (Baie Longue).
Which country governs Long Bay?
Long Bay is governed by France. There is an interesting border division in St. Maarten that many tourists may not know about. The island of St. Martin is divided into two different parts, the French and the Dutch, each side with its own government. This makes St. Maarten the smallest inhabited island that is divided between two nations.
What are the ways to go to Baie Longue?
The ways to go to Long Bay are listed below.
- By renting a car: Tourists can rent a car and drive to Long Bay. The minimum cost of renting a car in St. Maarten is $28 (€25) per day.
- By hailing a cab: Tourists can hail a cab from any point in St. Maarten or St. Martin to visit Long Bay. It is important to note that there is no Uber service on the island, but there are local taxis on the street. It is possible for tourists to take the contact number of a taxi driver they like in case they wish to make use of their services at a later date. The cost of hailing a cab is $19 (€18) per ride.
- By taking the bus: Tourists in Philipsburg can take the bus until Mullet Bay Beach, and then tourists can hail a cab until Long Bay. Tourists can use one of the many bus stops in St. Maarten. All the buses have a sign in the front window that indicates their final destination. A bus trip can cost $1 to $3 (€0.96 to €2.88) per person.
When is the best time to go to Long Bay?
The best time to go to Long Bay is between December and April. Tourists traveling between these months will avoid the hurricane season and there is pleasant weather during this time.
What are the best clubs in Baie Longue?
There are no clubs in Baie Longue. The area is known for being private and peaceful with minimal crowds. The best clubs in St. Martin can be found on the Dutch side of the island of St. Maarten in Philipsburg or Simpson Bay. Some of the best clubs on the Dutch side are listed below.
- The Boon Beach Bar
- Lotus Nightclub
- Rhythm ‘N Booze
- The Refuge
- Bar Bamboo
What are the best restaurants near Long Bay?
The best restaurants near Long Bay Beach are Altro, Rendez Vous Lounge, and Cambuci. The majority of the finest restaurants in St. Martin are on the French side of St. Martin, also known as the culinary capital of the island. The best restaurants near Long Bay are listed and described below.
- Rendez Vous Lounge is a popular breakfast, lunch, and dinner open-air café on St. Martin’s Western coast which offers a wide variety of cuisine. The Rendez-Vous Lounge is a favorite hangout spot for locals and tourists alike because of the European cuisine such as homemade pasta and Gnocchi. Rendez Vous Lounge is open from 8 AM to 10 PM throughout the week. There is live music at Rendez Vous Lounge every Tuesday and Friday. The prices at Rendez Vous Lounge range from $3 to $90 (€2.88 to €86.34) per plate.
- Cambuci is a waterfront restaurant that also has a cocktail and wine bar. In order to visit Cambuci, tourists also can reserve a table in advance. Tourists like the location and the views that Cambuci has. Cambuci is open all week, Monday through Friday from 5 PM to 12 AM, and on weekends from 11:30 AM to 12 AM. The price at Cambuci ranges from $12 to $40 (€11.50 to €38.35) per plate.
- Mama is an Italian restaurant known for having good quality pizza and the best chicken parmesan on the island of St. Maarten. Mama also offers fresh homemade pasta and fresh fish. At Mama, there are also vegetarian and vegan options available. At Mama, there are reservations available. Mama is open every day from 12:15 PM to 11:15 PM. The prices at Mama range from $10 to $40 (€9.59 to €38.37) per person.
What are the best resorts in Baie Longue?
The best resorts in Baie Longue are Simpson Bay Resort and Marina, Sapphire Beach Club & Resort, and La Samanna. The top rated resorts in St. Martin offer swimming pools, friendly and dedicated staff, children’s care, and much more. The best resorts in Baie Longue are listed and described below.
- Simpson Bay Resort and Marina is located just 5.6 miles (9 km) from Baie Longue and 2.4 miles (3.9 km) from Princess Juliana International Airport. Simpson Bay Resort and Marina is also located nearby many restaurants and shops. Simpson Bay Resort and Marina is recommended by guests because of its relaxing and beautiful scenery. Simpson Bay Beach Resort and Marina is a family resort. At Simpson Bay Resort and Marina there are many activities nearby that the whole family will enjoy such as eating at gourmet restaurants, visiting beaches, and participating in watersports. The price at Simpson Bay Resort and Marina goes from $128 to $157 (€118 to €145) per night.
- Sapphire Beach Club & Resort is located just 1.2 miles (1.9 km) from Baie Longue. Tourists like the location of Sapphire Beach Club & Resort between Cupecoy Beach and Mullet Bay Beach. The Sapphire Beach Club & Resort has an online rating of 3 out of 5 stars. The staff at the Sapphire Beach Club & Resort is described as helpful and cheerful. Some of the most popular amenities at Sapphire Beach Club & Resort are a restaurant, a swimming pool, a fitness center, and a fitness class. The price per night at Sapphire Beach Club & resort ranges from $130 to $241 (€119 to €222) per night.
- La Samanna is a five-star beachside resort located in Long Bay on the western part of the French side of St. Martin. La Samanna is one of the most luxurious hotels in St. Martin and St. Maarten. Celebrities like Salma Hayek, Oprah Winfrey, Kevin Kline, and others, choose La Samanna because of the private and secluded nature of the hotel. A large proportion of the staff at La Samanna has been working hard for over 40 years to provide amazing service to guests visiting St. Martin from all around the world. Tourists recognize the excellent service at La Samanna, and this has led to a clientele of repeat guests who value the hotel’s high level of service. The prices at La Samanna range from $600 to $1,400 (€528 to €1,233) per night.
What are the casinos near Long Bay?
There are no casinos near Long Bay. Long Bay is located in Terres Basses which is a private and secluded residential area in French Saint Martin. The casinos near Long Baie are among the most visited casinos of St. Maarten and are The Hollywood Casino, Casino Royale, and Atlantis World Casino. The casinos near Long Baie are listed and explained below.
- The Hollywood Casino is located in Simpson Bay just 5.8 miles (9.3 km) from Long Baie. The Hollywood Casino is less than a 10-minute walking distance from many of the most popular resorts on the island of St. Maarten such as La Vista Beach Resort, The Atrium Beach Resort, and The Simpson Bay Resort. Hollywood Casino features table games such as poker, blackjack, craps, or baccarat and a wide selection of slot machines. The Hollywood Casino is open from 1:00 PM to 4:00 AM all week.
- Casino Royale is located in the Maho Village Resort complex just 2.4 miles (3.9 km) from Long Baie. Casino Royale is the largest casino in St. Maarten/St. Martin with over 21,000 square feet (1,950 meters squared) of space. There are more than 400 slot machines at Casino Royale. The Casino Royale also features a lot of different gaming tables such as Caribbean stud, poker, roulette, craps, and more. The Casino Royale is open from 1:00 PM to 4:00 AM all week.
- Atlantis World Casino is located in Cupecoy Beach just 1.1 miles (1.7 km) from Long Bay. Atlantis World Casino is one of the most unique casinos on St. Maarten/St. Martin because of its underwater decoration. Some of the table games available at the Atlantis World Casino are craps, roulette, baccarat, blackjack, and poker. The Atlantis World Casino features hundreds of slot machines. There is also an “all-you-can-eat” buffet at the Atlantis World Casino. Atlantis World Casino is open every day of the week, 24 hours a day.
What are the beaches near Baie Longue?
The beaches near Baie Longue are Cupecoy Beach, Baie Aux Prunes, and Baie Rouge. The beaches near Long Bay are among the best beaches in Sint Maarten you can visit. The beaches in Baie Longue are listed and explained below.
- Baie Rouge is located between Terres Basses and Baie Nettlé, just 1.6 miles (2.5 km) from Baie Longue. Baie Rouge is one of the most luxurious beaches in St. Maarten. Baie Rouge is a pretty unique beach well-known for its pink sand. Many celebrities come to Baie Rouge to enjoy the luxurious environment. Baie Rouge is perfect for couples looking for a peaceful and romantic getaway. At Baie Rouge tourists can find the beautiful attraction of David’s Hole. There are so many different activities at Baie Rouge such as snorkeling, jet skiing, sailing, scuba diving, and kayaking. The entrance to Baie Rouge is free of charge. Tourists should know that Baie Rouge is also a clothing-optional beach.
- Cupecoy Beach is located on the southwestern shore of St. Maarten just 1 mile (1.5 km) from Long Bay. Cupecoy Beach is made of three secluded beaches surrounded by beautiful golden cliffs. Cupecoy Beach is one of the most charming beaches in St. Martin and St. Maarten. Many who visit Cupecoy Beach enjoy getting away from the crowds and relaxing on one of the most picturesque beaches in St. Maarten. Visitors are often interested in exploring the caves and rock formations formed naturally by the waves. Tourists should know that Cupecoy Beach is one of the unofficial “clothing-optional” beaches in St. Maarten. The entrance to Cupecoy Beach is free of charge.
- Plum Bay is located in the Terres Basses community, on the French side of St. Martin, just 1.4 miles (2.2 km) from Baie Longue. Although Plum Bay is located in a private residential area, access to the beach is available for all guests. Some of the activities at Plum Bay are snorkeling, jet skiing, and surfing. Plum Bay has a private and intimate atmosphere perfect for couples looking to spend a relaxing time at the beach. It is important to know that Plum Bay is also a clothing-optional beach. Entrance into Plum Bay is free of charge.
What are the tours for Baie Longue in Saint Martin?
The tours for Baie Longue in Saint Martin are The Tropical Sailing Catamaran Beach and Snorkel Tour, Full Day All-inclusive Private SXM Trip, and a Private Charter with Boomerang Boat Charters. Some of these tours are among the best rated tours of Saint Martin. The tours for Saint Martin Baie Longue are listed and explained below.
- The Tropical Sailing Catamaran Beach and Snorkel Tour allows tourists to have a sensational adventure on some beautiful beaches in St. Maarten and St. Martin. The Tropical Sailing Catamaran Beach and Snorkel Tour includes lunch, snacks, transport, an open bar, and snorkel gear. The Tropical Sailing Catamaran Beach and Snorkel Tour is a 6-hour trip. On the tour, the last beach on the route to visit is Long Bay, where tourists can enjoy the beautiful sunset. The Tropical Sailing Catamaran Beach and Snorkel Tour is priced at $119 (€114) per person. The check-in time for the Tropical Sailing Catamaran Beach and Snorkel Tour is at 9:30 AM and the tour departs from Bobby’s Marina, in Philipsburg, at 10 AM every day.
- Boomerang Boat Charters is a tour company with different tour packages. On the tour, tourists can choose to explore the waters around St. Maarten, St. Barth, or Anguilla with a private captain. tourists can spend the rest of the day swimming or practicing watersports such as snorkeling or paddleboarding. The first stop at the Boomerang Boat Charters with a private charter allows tourists to enjoy the beautiful Long Beach, in Baie Longue. The tour is a private charter with Boomerang Boat Charters and is 5 hours long. The price for a private charter with Boomerang Boat Charters is $2,500 (€2,395) per group, with a minimum of 10 people.
- Full Day All-inclusive Private SXM Trip offers an unforgettable boat trip in the crystal blue waters of St. Martin on an eye-catching 30 ft (9.1 m) speedboat. Tourists will get to appreciate the beautiful St. Martin and St. Maarten landscapes, get to know the breathtaking reefs in Baie Longue, and enjoy some watersports such as snorkeling. The Full Day All-inclusive Private SXM Trip makes a stop at Long Beach to allow guests to appreciate the luxurious views and the beautiful snorkeling reefs. The Full Day All-inclusive Private SXM Trip is 6 or 7 hours long and includes lunch, snacks, water, soda, alcoholic beverages, and snorkeling equipment. The price for the Full Day All-inclusive Private SXM Trip is $1,272 (€1,219) per group with a maximum of 10 people.
What should you wear in Long Bay?
Tourists should wear airy clothes such as shorts, shirts, and dresses, because of the sunny and warm weather in Long Bay. The weather in Long Bay is approximately around 85°F (29°C) all year round. Tourists also have to consider wearing light colors. Things that tourists should wear when visiting Long Bay are listed below.
- Tank tops
What are the popular things to do in Baie Longue?
The popular things to do in Baie Longue are hiking, snorkeling, swimming, and others. There are so many different things to do in St. Martin such as watersports, casinos, nightclubs, tours on a bike or by foot, etc. The popular things to do in Baie Long are listed below.
- Explore the natural caves
- Catamaran trip
- Romantic date watching the sunset
What are the best attractions in Baie Longue?
The best attractions in Baie Long are attractions that allow tourists to do different things such as explore nature, play table games, try local rhum products, and participate in watersports. The best attractions in Baie Longue are listed below.
- Da Waterhole
- Casino Royale
- Aqua Mania Adventures
- Topper’s Rhum Distillery
- Sea Fun SXM Watersports Center and Boat tours.
What are the facts about Long Bay?
The facts about Long Bay are listed below.
- Long Bay Beach is also known as Baie Longue. Baie Longue is the French spelling of Long Bay.
- Long Bay Beach is part of the island’s wealthy and glamorous neighborhood of Terres Basses.
- Long Bay is the longest beach on the island of St. Maarten and is also one of the most beautiful and private beaches.
- There are rock formations and even natural caves formed by the waves through the years. The natural caves provide sun protection and even romantic spots for visitors.
- Long Bay is next to a nudist beach called Cupecoy Beach. Despite not being an official nude beach, Cupecoy Beach is one of the few beaches on the Dutch side of St. Maarten where full nudity is permitted.
How do Hurricanes affect Baie Longue?
Many hurricanes that have struck St. Martin throughout the years have affected Baie Longue. Some of the hurricanes that had a major impact on Baie Longue were Hurricanes “Maria” and “Irma” which occurred in September of 2017. The effect of both of these hurricanes left many of the homes and buildings in Baie Longue badly damaged.
Since the last major hurricane in 2017, many of the buildings and houses in Baie Longue have been repaired or rebuilt. The majority of the homeowners used their own money to repair their properties. Baie Longue has been restored to its original beauty as an ideal spot for a relaxing beach visit.
Is Long Bay safe?
Yes, Long Bay is safe. Long Bay is part of Terres Basses, a private and secluded area where it is necessary to pass through security guards. Even though Long Bay is public and has free access, it is necessary to pass through a checkpoint in order to get to Long Bay. St. Maarten is safe to visit in general, these checkpoint controls help the owners and tourists to feel even more secure.